Prison guards taken hostage in Sri LankaJune 29th, 2012 - 3:46 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, June 29 (IANS) The Sri Lankan military Friday prepared to launch an operation to rescue three prison guards taken hostage by inmates of a prison in the north of the country, Xinhua reported.
The three guards at the Vavuniya prison were taken hostage Thursday evening by Tamil Tiger suspects. Overnight negotiations to secure their release had failed, an official said.
The area surrounding the prison had been cordoned off.
The rebels held at the prison were angered over moves to transfer some of the prisoners to another detention center in Sri Lanka’s south, a region dominated by the majority Sinhalese community.
Three prisoners were transferred to the Boosa detention center in the southern town of Galle following a court order.
The hostage takers demanded that the three inmates be returned to Vavuniya immediately in order to set the prison guards free.
The Vavuniya prison has in the past had tensed situations caused by Tamil Tiger suspects jailed during and after the ethnic conflict.
Some of the Tamil Tiger prisoners have not yet faced court charges and the government has decided to open new courts to expedite their cases.
- Tamil prisoners on hunger strike in Sri Lanka - May 21, 2012
- Lanka still holding 11,000 Tamil prisoners - Dec 05, 2009
- US hands over key prison to Afghanistan - Sep 10, 2012
- Costa Rican court rules male inmate can wear women's clothes - May 07, 2012
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash, 11 hurt (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Mathai raises issue of Tamil fishermen with Sri Lanka - Oct 10, 2011
- Militant prisoners take two Pak troops hostage as Peshawar gunbattle rages on - Aug 28, 2010
- Sri Lanka navy arrests 54 Australia-bound asylum seekers - Sep 06, 2012
- Curtail visits by Sri Lankan dignitaries: Jayalalithaa - Mar 07, 2012
- Five jailed by Hague court for helping LTTE - Oct 22, 2011
- Hundreds try to escape during Uruguay prison fight - Feb 07, 2010
- The World's nicest prison is located in Bastoy - May 25, 2012
- Russian arms dealer shifted to Brooklyn jail - Feb 26, 2012
- 15,000 people in Sri Lankan jails over unpaid fines - Aug 15, 2012
- EU wants fair trail for Sri Lanka detainees - May 06, 2012
Tags: court charges, ethnic conflict, galle, hostage takers, inmates, june 29, negotiations, prison guards, prisoners, rebels, s south, sri lanka colombo, sri lankan military, tamil tiger, tiger, xinhua