Pranab gave clean chit to PM on dealing with political crisesJune 28th, 2008 - 7:30 pm ICT by ANI
Dera Baba Nanak, June 28, (ANI): Giving a clean chit to Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh in dealing with various political crises in the country, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee said today that whatever Dr. Singh was doing is in the larger interest of the country.
Mukherjee was speaking on the sidelines of a visit to Dera Baba Nanak to assess the feasibility of the much in demand corridor to the Gurdwara Kartarpur Sahib from India.
On CPI (M) general secretary Prakash Karats allegation that the Prime Minister was solely to blame for the impasse between the UPA Government and the Left on the nuclear deal issue and other issues such as the price rise, Mukherjee said: Currently, our power generation capacity is 1,60,000 megawatts from all sources, and if we want nine to 10 percent of GDP growth up to 2030, our total requirement would be four times more than that we are having today.
He reiterated that what Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh did was the absolutely correct thing.
While answering another question about the fate of the UPA Government, Mukherjee said: We are in touch with the Left leaders and other leaders of the UPA partners, and it (the nuclear issue) is a very important national issue. We are talking to them and lets see what comes out of that. Asked whether the Congress would forge an alliance with the Samajwadi Party if the Left withdraws outside support, he said: We are keeping an eye on them as they are holing their party meeting on July 3. Lets see their approach first.
Elaborating about the US-India Civil Nuclear Cooperation Initiative later in Amritsar, he said in the first stage it was the signing of 123 Agreement with USA.
Signing will take place at a later stage, but both countries had initiated the process of finalizing the agreed language of the text of the agreement that would have India specific safeguards, which were to be approved by the IAEA. (ANI)
- Sikh bodies ask Govt to include Kartarpur Corridor in Indo-Pak talks - Mar 03, 2011
- Indian Sikh delegation in Pakistan calls for Kartarpur Sahib Corridor - Jun 08, 2010
- Greenpeace criticises India-Kazakh nuclear deal - Apr 12, 2011
- Blueprint for peace corridor between India and Pakistan - Nov 20, 2009
- Sikhs urge corridor to Pakistan border shrine - Jul 03, 2010
- Pranab Mukherjee to visit Dhaka in May - Apr 01, 2012
- PM departs for Seoul n-security summit (Lead) - Mar 24, 2012
- Pranab, Sibal meet Baba Ramdev at Delhi airport (Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- India, Japan to hold economic dialogue, discuss n-deal (Lead) - Apr 29, 2012
- Ramdev says fast on schedule, rejects ministers' plea (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- India, Russia to focus on n-energy, defence during summit - Dec 07, 2011
- Sonia has hectic day over presidential poll talks (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- PM leaves for China - Apr 12, 2011
- Wikileaks revelations not flattering but nebulous - Mar 22, 2011
- After NCP, RLD supports Ramdev on black money - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: amritsar, baba nanak, clean chit, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, gdp growth, gurdwara, manmohan, manmohan singh, megawatts, nuclear cooperation, nuclear deal, nuclear issue, political crises, power generation capacity, pranab mukherjee, sahib, Samajwadi Party