Prabhakaran summoned by Sri Lankan courtMarch 13th, 2008 - 1:21 am ICT by admin
Colombo, March 12 (Xinhua) The leader of Sri Lanka’s rebel Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) Velupillai Prabhakaran has been summoned by the Colombo High Court, officials said Wednesday. The Attorney General’s Department Tuesday filed indictment on Prabhakaran and five other rebels on the August 2005 murder of the then Sri Lankan Foreign Minister Lakshman Kadirgamar.
The reclusive Tamil Tiger leader will need to appear in the court March 24.
A fellow Tamil, Kadirgamar was gunned down near the swimming pool of his Colombo home by a LTTE gunman. Kadirgamar had led an international campaign against the rebels which resulted in several countries banning the rebel outfit.
The Colombo High Court in October 2002 sentenced Prabhakaran to 200 years imprisonment for bombing the Central Bank building and killing about 100 people in January 1996 in trial held in absentia.
The Sri Lankan authorities have not been able to arrest the LTTE leader as he lives in the rebel hideout in the island’s Northern Province.
Prabhakaran’s LTTE has been fighting the government troops since the mid-1980s to set up a separate homeland for the Tamil minority in the north and east, resulting in the killing of more than 70,000 people.
- Sri Lanka refuses entry to Indian politicians - Feb 22, 2011
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012
- Sri Lankans protest Prabhakaran video - Mar 13, 2012
- Ahead of elections, pro-LTTE journal attacks Karunanidhi - Apr 11, 2011
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- A valuable insight into Sri Lanka's peace process (IANS Book Review) - Feb 23, 2010
- Yechuri wants 'justice' for Tamils - Mar 13, 2012
- Prabhakaran's mother dies in Sri Lanka - Feb 20, 2011
- AIADMK unhappy with PM over Sri Lanka (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Arrest warrant issued for Prabhakaran (Lead) - Jan 27, 2009
- India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report - Nov 11, 2011
- India funds railway line in Sri Lanka - Nov 21, 2011
- Prabhakaran to blame for LTTE's demise, says Karuna - Dec 14, 2010
- Indian MP refused entry into Sri Lanka - Feb 22, 2011
- Prabhakaran's father to be cremated Sunday - Jan 09, 2010
Tags: colombo high court, court officials, foreign minister, government troops, hideout, indictment, international campaign, lakshman, lakshman kadirgamar, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, ltte leader, mid 1980s, northern province, sri lankan authorities, swimming pool, tamil minority, tamil tiger, tiger leader, xinhua