Prabhakaran might escape via sea route: Lankan armyApril 24th, 2009 - 4:11 pm ICT by ANI
Killinochi (Sri Lanka), Apr 24 (ANI): A top Sri Lankan army official has said that LTTE Chief V. Prabhakaran may escape from the country via the sea route, using a submarine.
Several Indian dailies quoted Brigadier Shavendra Desilva, the General-Officer-Commanding 58 Division, as saying, “Prabhakaran, who is present in the no-fire zone along with his son Charles Anthony, Tigers’ intelligence chief Pottu Amman and Sea Tiger chief Soosai, might have retained a submarine to escape from the island.”
This information was disclosed by the LTTE’s media co-ordinator, Daya Master, who surrendered to the army at Putumathalan in the no-fire zone on Wednesday.
Another key rebel leader George also surrendered before the army.
Revealing more about Prabhakaran, Master told the army that though Prabhakaran says he would not escape the area, the Tamil Tigers’ chief would run away at the first given opportunity.
Brigadier Desilva said the military operation would move slowly as 15,000 civilians are still under LTTE control in the no-fire zone. (ANI)
- Prabhakaran still in Sri Lanka, vows to fight on - Apr 24, 2009
- It is impossible for Prabhakaran to flee now: Military (Lead, Changing dateline) - Apr 24, 2009
- LTTE defeated, Sri Lanka free from terror: army chief - May 18, 2009
- Sri Lankan troops enter no fire zone: Radio - Apr 11, 2009
- Two LTTE leaders surrender, over 95,000 flee war zone (Second Lead) - Apr 22, 2009
- Sri Lankan rebels claim 1,000 civilians killed this week (Second Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- Sri Lanka Army confirms surrender of two top LTTE leaders - Apr 22, 2009
- Prabhakaran, top aides killed in Sri Lanka's war zone (Second Lead) - May 18, 2009
- LTTE chief in shrunken war zone as 95,000 civilians flee (Roundup) - Apr 22, 2009
- Sri Lankan civilians flee rebel-held areas for second day - Apr 21, 2009
- Sri Lanka Army claims capture of another LTTE post - Apr 29, 2009
- India asks Sri Lanka to ensure safety of Tamil civilians (Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- LTTE tortured and killed while fighting Indians: Book - Jul 12, 2012
- Final assault against LTTE chief Prabhakaran begins - Apr 21, 2009
- Thousands more flee Sri Lanka war zone, no trace of LTTE chief (Roundup) - Apr 21, 2009
Tags: army official, brigadier, civilians, co ordinator, indian dailies, intelligence chief, ltte, military operation, pottu amman, rebel leader, s media, sea route, sea tiger, soosai, sri lanka, sri lankan army, tamil tigers, tiger