PPP leaders pick Makhdoom Shahabuddin as new PM (Lead)June 20th, 2012 - 2:00 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 20 (IANS) The Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) senior leaders picked Minister for Textiles Makhdoom Shahabuddin for the office of the prime minister following the ouster of Yousuf Raza Gilani, media reports said Wednesday.
Sources told Geo News that the decision was taken at a meeting of senior leaders of the PPP held late Tuesday under the chairmanship of President Asif Ali Zardari.
The meeting also decided that a session of the National Assembly would be summoned Thursday to elect the leader of the house.
Shahabuddin is a member of the National Assembly from Rahim Yar Khan district in Punjab province.
However, Gilani expressed reservations over the name of Shahabuddin during the meeting of coalition partners, who entrusted Zardari to nominate the new prime minister.
Media reports said there were two strong contenders for the post of prime minister — Minister for Water and Power Chaudhry Ahmad Mukhtar and Shahabuddin. Mukhtar was formerly the defence minister.
The name of Zardari’s sister Faryal Talpur was also mentioned at the PPP meeting held Tuesday night.
Dawn News said Zardari recommended the names of Mukhtar, Shahabuddin, Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar and Religious Affairs Minister Khursheed Shah for the post.
However, the Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid-e-Azam (PML-Q) had reservations on nominating Mukhtar.
The Supreme Court Tuesday ruled that Gilani stood disqualified as prime minister as well as member of parliament since the apex court’s April 26 verdict holding him in contempt of court for refusing to write to the Swiss authorities to reopen corruption cases against Zardari.
A three-member bench led by Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry heard a set of constitutional petitions challenging National Assembly Speaker Fehmida Mirza’s ruling that despite conviction for contempt of court Gilani could continue as the prime minister.
A seven-member bench of the apex court had convicted Gilani April 26 of contempt of court. The court, however, sentenced him only “until the rising of the court”, or till the time the judges left the court chamber. That was only for about 30 seconds after the verdict was handed down.
- Pakistan parliament to elect new PM June 22 (Second Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- PPP nominates Shahabuddin for prime minister's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- PPP nominates Makhdoom Shahbuddin as new PM - Jun 20, 2012
- PPP accepts Gilani's disqualification verdict - Jun 19, 2012
- Pakistan prime ministerial hopeful Makhdoom Shahabuddin - a brief profile - Jun 20, 2012
- Zardari fields Shahabuddin for Pakistan PM's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Zardari calls for parliamentary session Friday - Jun 20, 2012
- Gilani's disqualification a victory of law: Imran Khan - Jun 21, 2012
- Gilani's disqualification a victory of law: Imran Khan (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Gilani hurt his own dignity: Sharif - Jun 20, 2012
- Race for Pakistan PM: PPP drops Shahabuddin, names Ashraf (Evening Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Change in Pakistan won't affect talks: India - Jun 20, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Pakistan not to contest Gilani contempt verdict - May 26, 2012
Tags: apex court, asif ali, assembly speaker, coalition partners, contempt of court, corruption cases, dawn news, geo news, member of parliament, mukhtar, new prime minister, office of the prime minister, pakistan muslim league, pakistan peoples party, pml, quaid e azam, rahim yar khan, religious affairs, shahabuddin, swiss authorities