PPP a party of the masses, says Pakistani PMJune 25th, 2011 - 1:14 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 25 (IANS) The Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) is a party of the masses and has always “confronted dictators” to uphold the rule of law in the country, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has said.
Gilani said the PPP was instrumental in giving the country a constitution in 1973, the Associated Press of Pakistan reported.
The party always had a history of confronting dictators, but always respected national institutions, he said.
“Zulfikar Ali Bhutto gave the country its constitution, which teaches respect of institutions, be it judiciary, parliament, media, army or civil society,” Gilani said.
Bhutto, the PPP founder, faced dictatorships of Gen. Ayub Khan and Gen. Zia-ul Haq, while his daughter Benazir challenged Gen. Pervez Musharraf.
“PPP is the party of masses, the poor, downtrodden, women and children and cannot support dictators,” Gilani said.
The prime minister said that despite the assassination of Benazir Bhutto, the party won the general elections of 2008 and formed the coalition government at the centre.
“I want to tell those imprudent people that PPP is a vision, a philosophy and a thinking. You can assassinate someone, but you cannot eliminate the thinking. Benazir Bhutto is no more alive, but her philosophy and vision is there,” he said.
The prime minister said the party would continue to strive for a peaceful solution of the Kashmir issue through dialogue.
- Gilani rejects trust vote as Zardari returns home (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Pakistan mourns Nusrat Bhutto's death - Oct 24, 2011
- No clash if institutions stick to statute, says Gilani - Dec 27, 2011
- Don't need trust vote, not opposing any institution: Gilani (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Nusrat Bhutto was woman of dignity, courage: Daily - Oct 24, 2011
- Rahul, Bilawal have much to share - Apr 07, 2012
- Benazir' assassination probe report will be made public: Gilani - Dec 27, 2010
- It's monarchy in Pakistan, not democracy, says Imran - Dec 17, 2011
- Zardari's children vow to stand by convicted Gilani - Apr 27, 2012
- Gilani gets lawyer in contempt case (Evening Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Pakistan's future linked to Kashmir settlement: Gilani - Jun 23, 2011
- Restoring constitution reaffirms Bhutto's philosophy: Zardari - Apr 04, 2010
- Pakistani PM on suicidal warpath, says daily - Jan 18, 2012
- Dictators have no chance of returning: Gilani (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- 'Zia's remnants trying to malign Zardari, children by using Benazir banner': PPP - Nov 24, 2010
Tags: associated press, ayub khan, benazir bhutto, coalition government, dictators, dictatorships, general elections, gilani, islamabad, judiciary, kashmir, kashmir issue, national institutions, pakistan peoples party, peaceful solution, pervez musharraf, raza, yousuf, zia ul haq, zulfikar ali bhutto