Positive change in Pakistan people’s mindset towards India: KrishnaJuly 26th, 2012 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 26 (IANS) There is a positive change in the mindset of Pakistani people vis-a-vis relations with India, External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna said Thursday, citing his Pakistani counterpart Hina Rabbani Khar.
Khar made the remark in a recent meeting, said Krishna, after electronically inaugurating the Jammu Passport Sewa Kendra (PSK) and laying the foundation-stone of the Passport Bhavan here, along with Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.
He also mentioned about the cordial meeting between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari at New Delhi when Zardari came to India to visit the famous Sufi shrine at Ajmer.
Stressing improved trade relations and people-to-people contact between the two countries, he said he is looking forward to his upcoming visit to Pakistan.
Speaking on the occasion, Union New and Renewable Energy Minister Farooq Abdullah also batted for good India-Pakistan relations and sustained dialogue. He said resolution of all issues through talks is the only way forward.
Wishing Krishna a very successful and fruitful Pakistan visit in September, Omar Abdullah reaffirmed the necessity of continuous engagement by the two countries in dialogue process to amicably address all issues.
“We know the Kashmir-centric issues are so complex and long drawn that these cannot be resolved in a few meetings but the sustained talks to find out a solution in a peaceful atmosphere is the only way forward,” he said adding that relations between the two countries have always a direct bearing on the situation in Jammu and Kashmir.
“The issues between the two countries cannot disappear overnight but efforts to engage in continuous dialogue should not stop,” he emphasised.
The chief minister also urged Krishna to take up, with his Pakistani counterpart, smaller issues like transferring cross-LOC trade from barter status to normal by allowing financial transactions through banks, communication facilities to traders and simplifying the visa regime for cross-LOC travel to enhance the ambit of this people to people centric confidence-building measure.
He also highlighted the importance of restoring direct Haj flights from Srinagar to Saudi Arabia for Haj pilgrims from the state.
“This issue is also connected with home and civil aviation ministries and I would call for active support and help from Mr. Krishna and Dr. Farooq Abdullah in this regard at the central level,” he maintained.
In his remarks, Krishna also underlined the government’s commitment to efficient delivery of passport services to Indian citizens in keeping with the vision “to deliver all passport-related services to the citizens in a timely, transparent, more accessible, reliable manner and in a comfortable environment through streamlined processes and committed, trained and motivated workforce”.
He said that as compared to 30,000 passports in 1950s, the passport offices in the country issued 73 lakh passports last year.
Noting that police clearance was necessary, he said: “We are working to create digital linking of passport offices with the police stations throughout the country to further ease the process of delivery.”
The launch of PSKs in Jammu and Srinagar will fast track the issuance of passports to people, Krishna added.
- Omar for sustained Indo-Pak dialogue and 'J-K centric' CBMs - Apr 07, 2012
- Fast-track LOC trade, travel: Mufti Sayeed - Apr 06, 2012
- High hopes in Kashmir as India meets Pakistan - Jul 24, 2011
- Continue dialogue with Pakistan, Omar urges centre - Oct 22, 2011
- India, Pakistan hope to move forward, finalise CBMs (Night Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- Everyone wants peaceful Kashmir: Pakistani leader - Sep 21, 2011
- Army chief calls on Omar Abdullah in Srinagar - Jun 16, 2012
- India-Pakistan talk, hope for peaceful ties (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- Home secretary reviews cross-LOC trade at Poonch - May 17, 2012
- India, Pakistan firm up cross-Kashmir CBMs, discuss terror (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- India, Pakistan ease Kashmir travel, trade - Jul 27, 2011
- India, Pakistan discuss cross-Kashmir CBMs, terror (Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- Visa pact signed with Pakistan; India insists on 26/11 justice (Intro Roundup) - Sep 09, 2012
- Let's move beyond negative mindset: Khar - Sep 08, 2012
- Kashmir must join India-Pakistan dialogue: Separatists (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
Tags: asif ali zardari, continuous dialogue, energy minister, external affairs minister, farooq, financial transaction, foundation stone, india pakistan, jammu and kashmir, kashmir chief minister, khar, laying the foundation, manmohan, manmohan singh, pakistan relations, pakistan visit, peaceful atmosphere, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, psk