Pope wants Pak-Christian woman sentenced to death for blasphemy releasedNovember 18th, 2010 - 3:14 pm ICT by ANI
Vatican City, Nov 18 (ANI): Pope Benedict XVI has called for the release of Asia Bibi, a Christian woman in Pakistan facing the death sentence awarded by a court in the Nankana Sahib under the Blasphemy Law.
On Wednesday, Benedict told his weekly public audience that Christians in Pakistan “are often victims of violence and discrimination,” the Dawn reported.
He called for the release of Asia Bibi, who was recently sentenced to death after being accused of insulting the Prophet Muhammad, and the trial judge ruled out the possibility that she was falsely accused, saying that there were no mitigating circumstances.
The Pope expressed his “spiritual closeness” to her, and said that he was praying that the “human dignity and fundamental rights of everyone in similar situations” is fully respected.
Asia, an illiterate woman and resident of Chak 3 of Ittanwali was sentenced in June 2009 under Section 295B and C of the Pakistan Penal Code, commonly referred to as the Blasphemy Law, and has been in jail for over a year.
According to an investigation by the National Commission on the Status of Women, Asia’s case is rooted in personal vendetta by a landlord, who is using the issue to settle a score with her. (ANI)
- Jinnah Institute blasts Pak-Christian woman's shocking death sentence for 'blasphemy' - Nov 17, 2010
- Zardari stays execution of blasphemy accused Pak-Christian woman - Nov 20, 2010
- Pope appeals to spare life of Pakistani Christian woman - Nov 18, 2010
- Blasphemy accused Pak-Christian woman "innocent": Minister - Nov 23, 2010
- Blasphemy accused Pak-Christian woman seeks President's mercy - Nov 21, 2010
- Zardari stays execution of Christian woman - Nov 19, 2010
- Pak minister calls for "re-investigation, fair trial" of blasphemy accused Christian woman - Nov 19, 2010
- Pak Govt to protect minorities at all costs: Zardari - Jan 21, 2011
- 'Zardari to issue pardon or grant clemency to blasphemy convict Pak-Christian woman' - Nov 25, 2010
- HRW 'appalled' over Pak Govt's blasphemy charges against teenage student - Feb 03, 2011
- Pakistani Christian woman to appeal against death sentence for 'blasphemy' - Nov 13, 2010
- Hafiz Saeed publicly slams Pope, defends blasphemy law - Jan 30, 2011
- Pak must knock sense into people who 'mollycoddle the intolerant': Daily Times - Nov 29, 2010
- Pakistani woman on death row likely to get pardon - Nov 20, 2010
- Blasphemy accused Pak-Christian woman may be shifted to women-only jail for safety - Jan 18, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,