Police complaint filed in Taseer killing caseJanuary 5th, 2011 - 9:25 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 5 (IANS) Pakistan police registered a complaint Wednesday in connection with the killing of Punjab province governor Salman Taseer, a media report said.According to Geo News, the complaint was registered in Kohsar police station with Taseer’s son Shehryar Taseer as the complainant.
Taseer, a vocal critic of Islamist militancy in Pakistan, was shot dead in a posh area in Islamabad Tuesday by one of his guards who said he killed him for opposing blasphemy laws.
Guard Mumtaz Quadri, who belonged to an elite security agency, gave himself up to the authorities after gunning down the politician he was supposed to protect as the victim walked towards his car from a cafe frequented by foreigners and wealthy Pakistanis.
Taseer collapsed as nine bullets tore into him, including some which pierced his chest and neck.
His body was Wednesday laid to rest with national honours at the Cavalry Ground in Lahore city.
Funeral prayers were held at the Governor House where thousands of people, including government officials, politicians, foreign diplomats and other dignitaries attended.
Zardari, who could not attend the funeral, sent his sister and parliamentarian Faryal Talpur to represent him at the funeral.
Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi and Interior Minister Rehman Malik, among others, attended the funeral at the Shuhada Cemetery in the Cavalry Ground by the side of martyrs of Pakistan Army.
The national flag is being flown at half-mast Wednesday at all government buildings and offices in Pakistan. The federal government Tuesday declared three-day mourning for Taseer.
- Governor Taseer's assassin produced before terrorism court - Jan 06, 2011
- Body of Pakistani governor laid to rest (Second Lead) - Jan 05, 2011
- Pakistan considering US guards for Zardari - Jan 19, 2011
- Assassinated Pak Punjab Governor laid to rest in Lahore - Jan 05, 2011
- Former Governor Of Pakistan Salman Taseer Shot Dead - Jan 05, 2011
- Tight security at Pakistan governor's funeral prayers (Lead) - Jan 05, 2011
- Pak ATC shocked over 'absence of prosecution lawyer' in Taseer murder case - Jan 25, 2011
- Pakistani governor killed by own guard - Jan 04, 2011
- Punjab governor, critic of Islamist militancy, killed by guard (Second Lead) - Jan 04, 2011
- Three-day mourning in Pakistan for Punjab governor - Jan 04, 2011
- Salman Taseer's assassinator finds "fans" on Facebook - Jan 06, 2011
- Pakistani TV channels fined for interviews of Taseer's killer - Jan 11, 2011
- Taseer's assassin guarded Zardari, Gilani even after being declared security risk: Report - Jan 13, 2011
- Zardari may get special US guards for security in backdrop of Taseer's assassination - Jan 19, 2011
- Zardari, Gilani assure recovery of Taseer - Aug 27, 2011
Tags: blasphemy laws, elite security, geo news, gilani, government buildings, mehmood, militancy, mumtaz, national flag, nine bullets, pakistan army, parliamentarian, police complaint, province governor, qureshi, rehman malik, salman taseer, talpur, vocal critic, yousuf