Poachers kill rhino in Nepal’s national parkApril 5th, 2008 - 1:23 pm ICT by admin
Kathmandu, April 5 (Xinhua) A one-horned rhinoceros was killed by suspected poachers in Nepal’s Bardiya national park and an army man assigned for the park’s security was found dead nearby, according to a media report Saturday. The carcass of the rhinoceros was discovered Thursday night. The poachers chopped off its horn before escaping, the online portal nepalnews.com reported. The rhino horns are used for making traditional Chinese medicines.
A Nepali army soldier was also found dead some 400 meters away from the carcass. Gun shot injuries were found on his body.
The Bardiya national park is around 390 km west of Kathmandu.
Security officials suspect that an armed gang comprising four to five poachers might be involved in the incident.
- One-horned rhino killed in Assam - May 23, 2012
- Rhino killed in South Africa - Mar 03, 2012
- One-horned rhino poached in Assam - Jul 02, 2012
- Assam wildlife group protests removal of rhino's horn - Mar 25, 2012
- Four rhino poachers killed in gunfight in Kaziranga - May 21, 2010
- Rhino found dead in Kaziranga - Jan 28, 2010
- Rhino census to be held in Assam from March 15 - Feb 28, 2012
- Turmoil gores Nepal's rhino success story - Jun 14, 2010
- Rhino poached in Kaziranga National Park - Apr 12, 2012
- Now dogs to the rescue of Kaziranga rhinos - Jan 22, 2012
- Nepal's rhinos flourish under bodyguards - Nov 24, 2009
- Nepal 'jails' blind rhino for manslaughter - Jan 28, 2011
- Two poachers killed in Kaziranga, rhino found dead (Lead) - Dec 13, 2010
- Four Kaziranga rhinos to be released in Manas - Feb 19, 2012
- 'Lack of political will behind conservation woes' (With Image) - May 19, 2012
Tags: armed gang, army man, army soldier, bardiya, carcass, gun shot, kathmandu, nepal, nepali, one horned rhinoceros, poachers, rhino, rhino horns, rhinoceros, ria novosti, security officials, shot injuries, thursday night, traditional chinese medicines, xinhua