PML-N, Taliban links prime reason behind Lahore mosques’ terror siege: TaseerMay 29th, 2010 - 3:44 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, May 29 (ANI): Punjab Governor Salmaan Taseer has said that the close links between the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) and the Taliban was the prime reason behind Friday’s ghastly terror attack on the two Lahore mosques.
“Ahmedis had to face gun-and-grenade attacks inside the places of worship in Model Town and Garhi Shahu due to the close relations between the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz and the Taliban,” The Daily Times quoted Taseer, as saying.
In his message on the social networking site-Twitter, Taseer said that banned extremist groups like the Sipah-e-Sahaba and the Taliban were jointly working in the province under the patronage of the provincial Law Minister Rana Sanaullah.
“Extremists are receiving VIP treatment in the Punjab jails,” Sanaullah wrote in his tweet.
Political bickering over the deadly militant attack on the two mosques, in which over 70 people were killed, is in full flow.
Earlier, Interior Minister Rehman Malik claimed that the Punjab government was already informed about militants’ plans to target minorities in the province.
Malik said that the provincial government was given specific intelligence inputs that militants may target religious places and other important installations in Lahore.
Over 70 people were killed, including nine security personnel, and more than 100 injured when several heavily armed gunmen struck two mosques belonging to the Ahmadiya community in Lahore on Friday (May 28). More than a thousand people were said to be inside the worship place at the time of the attack.
The hostage drama ended after an intense three hour-long gun battle between the security forces and the attackers. Media reports said that at least two suicide attackers were nabbed alive in the commando operation. (ANI)
- Sharifs have turned Pak Punjab into terror 'bomb' ready to explode: Governor - Apr 30, 2010
- Pak Govt. remains ambivalent over taking on terror outfits in Punjab - Jun 23, 2010
- Punjab Govt. warned in advance regarding terror threat to minorities: Malik - May 29, 2010
- Taliban expanding network in Pak's military, political heartland- Punjab - Jun 17, 2010
- Pakistan wants Law Minister Sanaullah ousted for links with terrorists: Taseer - Sep 05, 2010
- Pakistani extremists joining Taliban, Al Qaeda: Rehman Malik - May 30, 2010
- Pak Punjab minister rules out military operation in province - Jun 11, 2010
- Pak Punjab Govt. must take measures to curb extremist elements: Editorial - Mar 01, 2010
- Pak politician threatened for disclosing government-banned organizations nexus - Nov 22, 2010
- Pak Punjab governor blasts government for denying Taliban presence in province - Jun 19, 2010
- Military operation imperative to eliminate terror hubs in Pak Punjab: I&B Minister - Jun 12, 2010
- Military offensive not needed in South Punjab, says IG Pak Punjab - Jun 23, 2010
- Pak Punjab Govt. providing VIP protocol to jailed 'Lashkar-e-Jhangvi' leaders - Apr 26, 2010
- Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, Sipah-e-Sahaba working like 'paid killers' for Taliban :Malik - Jul 03, 2010
- Gojra's riots to "make mincemeat of the Christians" were pre-planned: HRCP - Aug 05, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,