Please don’t club me with Rahat: AdnanFebruary 27th, 2011 - 12:15 pm ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, Feb 27 (IANS) Singer-composer Adnan Sami is none too pleased by attempts in the Pakistani media to club his case with that of Pakistani singer Rahat Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan who was arrested in Delhi airport earlier this month for carrying undeclared foreign currency.Attempts have been made by the Pakistani media to get in touch with Adnan and his family in Pakistan and India.
Says Adnan angrily: “I don’t know why the Pakistani media is bringing my name up in Rahat’s context. I am doing just fine.”
“Yes, I’m in a spot of trouble with the government over a foreign exchange issue. But you can’t compare my problem with Rahat’s. I had done everything according to official instruction. It was the authorities who did not read the fine print,” he adds.
Rahat Fateh Ali Khan was arrested at the Delhi airport Feb 13 for carrying undeclared foreign currency. He has since been released and returned to his country.
Adnan sidesteps the strong rumours that he is under renewed threat from a regional political party to leave India.
“There will be the party-poopers in every situation. You can’t run away and hide just because some people want to get rid of you. Let me make it very clear that Mumbai is my city. This is where I now belong. And no one can drive me out,” he said.
Reacting to rumours that he still maintains a Pakistani passport, Adnan sighs: “My application for an Indian passport has almost come through. I’ll soon be an Indian citizen.”
“Until then, yes, I do hold a Pakistani passport. Does that make me a Pakistani? We’ve an example of a very important and beloved leader (Sonia Gandhi) coming from Italy,” he adds.
“How Italian would you consider this beloved leader who is dedicated to Indian politics? Nationality is a state of mind. I am Indian. I dare anyone to prove otherwise,” he says.
- Rahat mulls legal action against Indian officials - Feb 23, 2011
- Rahat, manager fined Rs.1.5 each - Feb 20, 2011
- Pakistani singer Rahat Ali Khan, manager fined Rs. 15 lakh - Feb 20, 2011
- Rahat case fallout: Pakistani artistes need NOC to go abroad - Feb 25, 2011
- I pay 40 pc of my Indian earnings as taxes: Veena Malik - Mar 20, 2011
- Goa's Education Minister detained at Mumbai airport - Apr 02, 2011
- Rahat Fateh Ali Khan detained at Delhi airport - Feb 13, 2011
- Rahat Ali's arrest in India 'conspiracy against Pakistani artistes', claims Pak MPA - Feb 19, 2011
- Rahat Fateh Ali Khan freed, not allowed to leave India (Night Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- Rahat freed, but asked to stay in India pending probe (Intro Night Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- Rahat's interrogation continues, Pakistan seeks his release (Second Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- Pakistan seeks release of Rahat Fateh Ali Khan - Feb 14, 2011
- Rahat Fateh Ali Khan arrested, to be produced in court (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- Airport detentions on the rise for Bollywood stars - Jun 29, 2011
- Investigators still quizzing Rahat Fateh Ali Khan - Feb 14, 2011
Tags: adnan sami, beloved leader, delhi airport, fateh ali khan, foreign currency, foreign exchange, indian citizen, indian passport, indian politics, nusrat fateh ali, nusrat fateh ali khan, pakistani singer, party poopers, rahat fateh ali, rahat fateh ali khan, rahat nusrat fateh ali khan, regional political party, rumours, sonia gandhi, subhash k jha