Peshawar tense after suicide attack, two gunmen killed (Lead)June 12th, 2009 - 7:16 am ICT by IANS
Peshawar, June 12 (IANS) Pakistani security forces have shot dead two gunmen in overnight clashes in northwestern Peshawar city, close on the heels of a suicide bomb attack in which three people were killed and 13 policemen injured, as the city remained tense amid fears of more unrest.
Two gunmen were killed in a shootout that lasted for an hour on the Ring road Thursday night, the Geo TV said Friday, adding that seven of their accomplices have been captured.
The gunmen were trying to forcibly enter the house of a security official when the shootout took place, the report said, citing unnamed sources.
After the blast on the Ring road in Peshawar Thursday, incidents of gunfire have been reported on the G.T. road of the city. Authorities have beefed up security after the incidents.
The Ring road in Peshawar, capital of North West Frontier Province (NWFP), is considered a sensitive area.
Though the firing has stopped, Peshawar residents were still in a state of panic, the report said.
The district administration has said the situation in under control.
Meanwhile, heavy contingents of police have cordoned off the areas where the firing incidents were reported.
Authorities said two motorcycle-borne riders first hurled a hand grenade at the police stationed on the Ring Road and then a suicide bomber blew himself up at the site, killing three people and injuring 13 policemen.
The injured were rushed to hospitals.
Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani has ordered an inquiry into the attack.
- Peshawar tense after suicide bomb attack - Jun 12, 2009
- Two policemen killed in Pakistan attack - May 30, 2011
- Senior cop dies in Peshawar suicide blast (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Intelligence official shot dead in Pakistan - Mar 02, 2012
- Five die in Peshawar blast (Lead) - Mar 11, 2012
- Policemen injured in Pakistan grenade attack - Jun 20, 2010
- Four shot dead in Pakistan - Mar 25, 2012
- Two killed in attack on Pakistan police station - Feb 24, 2012
- Five killed in Iraq violence - May 24, 2012
- 13 killed in blast at Peshawar funeral (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2012
- 18 killed in Pakistani bus ambush (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Eight security men hurt in Pakistan grenade attack (Lead) - Jun 20, 2010
- Nine killed in Iraq insurgent attacks - Nov 20, 2011
- Four policemen killed in Pakistan - Jun 09, 2012
- One injured in Peshawar blast - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: accomplices, city authorities, city close, district administration, frontier province, geo tv, gilani, gunmen, hand grenade, north west frontier, nwfp, peshawar city, policemen, security official, sensitive area, state of panic, suicide attack, suicide bomb attack, suicide bomber, unnamed sources