People pray for peace in NagalandJune 8th, 2008 - 2:44 pm ICT by ANI
Dimapur, June 8 (ANI): Violence-hit people of Nagaland prayed for restoration of peace in the state.
Scores of locals braved the rain and marched on the streets of Dimapur on Saturday for an end to the era of violence they had witnessed.
The crusade, culmination of seven days’ of prayer and fasting by the locals was organised by the Northeast India Christian Revival Church.
The locals said that they wanted a respite from the gunshots, which had destroyed peace in the state.
“People in Nagaland are fed up of killings and want divine intervention into this problem and we want peace,” said Neivotso Neikha, the organiser.
Since 1947, Naga rebels have been demanding the creation of a separate Greater Nagaland” for ethnic Naga people of the region.
About 20,000 people have been killed in the conflict, but a 1997 truce had largely capped violence, although peace talks had made little progress since. (ANI)
- Army stages flag march in Nagaland - Sep 02, 2012
- Rebel Naga group ousts its chief - Jun 08, 2011
- Music takes center stage in Nagaland as militant activities drop - Apr 12, 2010
- Rally supporting Indo-Naga peace talks held in Senapati District - Oct 27, 2010
- Nagaland government appeals for calling off blockade - Aug 21, 2012
- Special Christmas prayers for peace in northeast - Dec 25, 2011
- Fresh round of talks with NSCN-IM Tuesday in Nagaland - May 31, 2010
- NSCN status sparks row in India's northeast - Nov 18, 2011
- 14 killed in two Nagaland accidents - Jan 06, 2012
- Peace vital for development of Nagaland: Rahul - Nov 09, 2011
- Manipur hit by shortage of essentials, life saving drugs - May 09, 2010
- Three held with arms in Guwahati - May 10, 2012
- Peace meet held to mend troubled relations between Assam, Nagaland - Feb 26, 2011
- NSCN (IM) leaders positive about Naga solution - Mar 12, 2011
- New Delhi to hold talks with NSCN-IM in April - Feb 09, 2010
Tags: christian revival church, conflict, crusade, culmination, days of prayer, dimapur, divine intervention, gunshots, killings, locals, nagaland, northeast india, peace talks, prayer and fasting, rebels, respite from, seven days, state scores, truce, violence