PCB officials, selectors to meet over Akhtar issue

July 11th, 2008 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS  

A file-photo of Shoaib Akhtar

Karachi, July 11 (IANS) Senior Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) officials will meet with national selectors in Lahore Monday to decide whether controversial pacer Shoaib Akhtar can be considered for the Champions Trophy in September. The selectors had included Shoaib’s name in the 30-man list for the Champions Trophy but the PCB raised an objection that Shoaib cannot be considered for Pakistan duty until he pays Rs.7 million fine.

The PCB postponed the announcement of its preliminary squad for the Champions Trophy and announced that it will now be named on July 15.

Shoaib and Mohammad Asif were included by the national selectors in the preliminary squad and the list was due to be released by the PCB Friday, the deadline set by the International Cricket Council (ICC).

Shoaib was banned for five years by the board in March for various acts of indiscipline. He appealed against the ban to an appellate tribunal which reduced it to 18 months but imposed a fine of Rs. 7 million on him.

The bowler then filed a petition to the Lahore High Court against the ban and fine last month.

The court suspended the ban but refused to clear the fine until the case is taken up for regular hearing in September.

“We included Shoaib’s name in the probables list because we respect the court decision,” chief selector Salahuddin Ahmed said Friday. “Now we will be meeting senior PCB officials in Lahore on Monday to resolve the issue,” he added.

Salahuddin said that Shoaib is a match-winning bowler but was quick to add that he would only be selected in the Champions Trophy squad if he is eligible for national duty and is fully fit.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in South Asia |