PCB chief Nasim Ashraf resignsAugust 18th, 2008 - 5:47 pm ICT by IANS
By K. Hussain
Karachi, Aug 18 (IANS) Just hours after Pakistan president Pervez Musharraf announced his resignation, Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Nasim Ashraf also decided to quit Monday. Sources in the PCB told IANS that Ashraf decided to resign as PCB chief following a meeting of senior Board officials Monday. Ashraf, who was handpicked by Musharraf to become the PCB chairman in September 2006, had just returned home from a personal trip of the United States.
Musharraf - facing a possible impeachment from the parliament — announced his resignation in a televised address to the nation Monday afternoon.
Ashraf was one of Musharraf’s close aides and it was widely speculated in the national cricket circles that if the president quits then the PCB chief will follow suit.
Ashraf, who was a US-based doctor before his appointment as the PCB chairman, took over the reins of Pakistan cricket at a turbulent period, just days after Pakistan became the first test-playing nation to forfeit a Test, against England at The Oval.
Later, Pakistan cricket went through a lot of turmoil in 2007 when the country suffered an embarrassing first round defeat in the World Cup in the West Indies and more importantly lost their coach Bob Woolmer in suspicious circumstances. Woolmer was found dead in his hotel room in Jamaica just hours after his team lost to minnows Ireland in a crucial World Cup match.
The high point of Ashraf’s stint was Pakistan’s good showing in the inaugural World Twenty20 Championship in South Africa where they played in the final against old rivals India.
- Whatmore to coach Pakistan's cricket team - Mar 03, 2012
- Growing demand for Ijaz Butt's removal as PCB chief - Sep 21, 2011
- Afridi comes out of retirement - Oct 18, 2011
- PCB chairman's visit revives Pakistan's IPL hopes - May 28, 2012
- Repairing country's cricket image new PCB chief's top priority - Oct 13, 2011
- Ex-PCB CEO rubbishes reward to vanquished Pak WC team - Apr 20, 2011
- Razzak accuses Ashraf of trying to destroy his career - Feb 22, 2010
- Whatmore, Rhodes are contenders for Pakistan coach: Ashraf - Nov 29, 2011
- PCB appoints Bari as interim COO - Sep 01, 2009
- Afridi urges Zardari to save Pakistani cricket - Jun 01, 2011
- Zardari appoints close friend as PCB chief,Butt shown the door - Oct 12, 2011
- Woolmer made a big contribution to Pak cricket: Inzamam - Mar 19, 2011
- PCB suspends its 'unfit' chief financial officer - Mar 18, 2010
- Delay in naming captain will hamper Pakistan's chances: Inzamam - Jan 24, 2011
- PCB summons Mohsin after he threatens to quit (Lead) - May 04, 2011
Tags: bob woolmer, inaugural world, nasim ashraf, national cricket, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, pakistan president pervez musharraf, pervez musharraf, president pervez musharraf, suspicious circumstances