Parents put up for auction in PakistanFebruary 11th, 2011 - 1:09 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 11 (IANS) Five handicapped siblings, suffering from a degenerative disease, put up their old parents for auction in Pakistan’s Punjab province as the family had nothing to eat and had been starving for the past two days.The auction of the parents was organised outside the district coordination officer (DCO) office in Khanewal town, Express Tribune reported Friday.
The disabled brothers and sisters invited bids to sell their parents, saying that their family was starving and that their parents had volunteered to be sold if the money could pay for their treatment.
Retired railways official Muhammad Sarwar’s five children - Tanveer, Badar, Safdar, Zaheer and Nadia - have become disabled due to a genetic degenerative disorder.
Sarwar had sold off his entire property, including furniture, to pay for his children’s treatment and were not able to afford the medical bills.
The siblings said they had been starving for two days when they decided to auction their parents.
“The government earlier promised to give us financial assistance but we didn’t receive anything.
“We are desperate,” Safdar said.
They said since their father was retired and they were disabled, the family had no sources of income.
- Stroke risk much higher if sibling had stroke - Apr 11, 2012
- Quarter of Spanish children at risk of poverty: Unicef - Nov 17, 2010
- Ming Vase auctioned for $1.38 million - Mar 21, 2011
- Older siblings of autistics tend to develop hyperactivity - Mar 09, 2010
- Norway court hands over Indian children to uncle - Apr 23, 2012
- Delhi University dons a disabled-friendly avatar - Jul 10, 2011
- Norway court hands over Indian children to uncle (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- NRI children back home from Norway (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- A happy mum makes for a happy child - Apr 03, 2011
- Mum's happiness more important to children - Apr 03, 2011
- Poverty forces Bengal mother to sell child for Rs.2000 - May 22, 2012
- Religious beliefs cause sick children to suffer - Aug 14, 2012
- Despite poverty, disability, these Bengal students shine - Jun 02, 2012
- Children eyewitness to family violence - Oct 18, 2011
- Adult ADHD 'significantly ups risk of common form of dementia' - Jan 19, 2011
Tags: auction, brothers and sisters, degenerative disease, degenerative disorder, district coordination, financial assistance, furniture, medical bills, money, muhammad sarwar, nadia, pakistan islamabad, parents, punjab province, railways, siblings, zaheer