Pak’s US aid to be delayed by over a monthApril 2nd, 2009 - 2:22 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr.2 (ANI): Pakistan will have to wait for about a month before the tripled non military aid bill is proposed in the US Congress.
According to sources, the US Congress is unlikely to complete the legislation before the end of this month.
The senior members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Democratic Senator John Kerry and Republican Senator Richard Lugar were expected to introduce the bill soon, but sources said it is highly unlikely because of a two week congressional recess due to start April 6, The News reported.
The legislation would first require to get a green signal from Senator Kerry’s panel and then be tabled before whole senate.
“The House of Representatives would have to pass companion legislation, after which the two chambers would have to reconcile their versions to send a compromise to Obama, which could take time and even drag the issue to May,” sources said. (ANI)
US President Barack Obama has announced a non-military aid of 7.5 billion dollars over the next five years to Pakistan. (ANI)
- US allocates 1.5 billion dollars for Pak in 2010 budget - Dec 11, 2009
- Obama signs K-L Bill amid Pak rejection of 'explanatory note' - Oct 16, 2009
- Pakistan may seek $874 mn from IMF - Oct 15, 2009
- US mission to visit Pak to identify areas of fund utilization - Sep 26, 2009
- Kerry calls for tight check on Pak non-military aid fearing rampant govt corruption - May 28, 2010
- Probe into Kerry-Lugar funds' embezzlement by NGOs in Pakistan - Nov 26, 2010
- Kerry-Lugar bill for Pak aid postponed indefinitely - Apr 03, 2009
- US-Pak trust deficit hampering financial aid to achieve desired results: Senators - May 05, 2009
- US Senate committee clears 1.5 B dollar per year aid for Pakistan - Jun 17, 2009
- US Senate approves Pak defence bill with 'India-centric' riders over balance of power in region - Oct 23, 2009
- Never received any complaint from Pak regarding access to military aid: US - Jul 04, 2010
- Quick approval urged for US aid to Pakistan - May 13, 2009
- US says Kerry-Lugar Bill will be approved by September - Aug 29, 2009
- Pak Army's stance over KL Bill 'unchanged' - Oct 25, 2009
- US holding back economic aid to Pakistan - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: barack obama, billion dollars, companion legislation, compromise, congressional recess, democratic senator john, foreign relations committee, house of representatives, john kerry, members of the senate, military aid, next five years, republican senator, richard lugar, senate foreign relations, senate foreign relations committee, senator john kerry, senator kerry, senator richard lugar, us congress