Pak’s request to interrogate Oz asylum seekers to curb human smuggling on holdJuly 21st, 2010 - 5:19 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, July 21 (ANI): Australian Foreign Affairs Minister Stephen Smith has refused to comment on demands of Pakistani officials to allow them to interrogate people seeking asylum on Christmas Island.
Pakistan’s Federal Investigation Agency’s (FIA) director (immigration) Mohammad Manzoor had said that interrogating people was the only way through which the massive smuggling syndicate could be dismantled.
“We do request them every time to either give us access to the detainees, or, if (they) have some legal complications, we have given them the telephone numbers of our investigators and the director of anti-human smuggling,” Manzoor had said earlier.
However, Smith said that the government would itself probe the matter in accordance with the United Nation’s Refugee Convention.
He said Australia is working closely with several countries, including Pakistan, and their agencies to combat people smuggling.
“We work very closely with countries in our region, both source countries whether it be Afghanistan or Pakistan, or transit countries like Indonesia, Thailand, Sri Lanka. We seek to disrupt and prevent the people smugglers from applying their trade,” News.co.au quoted Smith, as saying. (ANI)
- Canada cracks down on human smugglers - Oct 22, 2010
- Canada hints LTTE behind human-smuggling ship - Aug 14, 2010
- Sri Lankan Tamil held in Canada for war crimes - Nov 04, 2010
- Canadian Navy boards Tamil refugee ship, some expected to be LTTE members - Aug 13, 2010
- Pakistani probe agency saw 5 chiefs in 30 months - Jun 22, 2011
- Iran deports 82 Pakistanis - May 21, 2012
- Hundreds of Myanmar nationals seek refugee status (With Images) - Apr 21, 2012
- Australia hires ad agency to battle illegal immigration - Oct 06, 2009
- Pakistan orders probe into human trafficking to Iran - Nov 19, 2010
- Afghanistan tops worldwide asylum seekers list - Nov 28, 2010
- Australian Government defers processing of Sri Lankan, Afghan asylum claims - Apr 09, 2010
- Pakistan probes smuggling of wild animals from Tanzania - Jun 11, 2012
- Tamils want refugee centre in SE Asia to stop human smuggling - Nov 05, 2010
- Over 100 Tamil migrants heading to Canada arrested - Oct 30, 2010
- Pak-born Qaeda suspect revealed name of Osama's key courier - May 05, 2011
Tags: asylum seekers, australian foreign affairs, christmas island, detainees, federal investigation, fia, foreign affairs minister, human smuggling, investigation agency, manzoor, mohammad, pakistani officials, refugee convention, seeking asylum, smugglers, source countries, stephen smith, trade news, transit countries, united nation