Pakistan’s new panel chief follows Gandhi’s teachingsJuly 10th, 2012 - 12:50 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, July 10 (IANS) Pakistan’s new Chief Election Commissioner Fakhruddin G. Ebrahim was born in India’s Gujarat state where he attended lectures given by Mahatma Gandhi. He continues to be inspired by his teachings of non-violence and peace, a media report said.
Ebrahim, born Feb 12, 1928 in Ahmedabad in Gujarat, was Monday appointed as the chief election commissioner following a parliamentary consensus.
“Ebrahim attended the Gujrat Vidyapith and received an undergraduate degree in law in 1949. He also studied courses based on philosophy and attended lectures given by Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. It is believed that his advocacy for non-violence and peace comes from Gandhi’s teachings,” Dawn reported.
Ebrahim migrated to Pakistan in 1950.
He is an eminent Pakistani jurist, constitutional expert, former federal law minister, former judge of the Supreme Court of Pakistan and former governor of Sindh.
- 1,100 convicts write Gandhi exam in jails - Oct 02, 2011
- Mahatma Gandhi inspired millions to unite for cause of freedom, independence: President Patil - Oct 01, 2010
- Nation pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi on his 141st birth anniversary - Oct 02, 2010
- Nepal's gay icon champions Gandhi in book row - Apr 08, 2011
- Gandhi will remain an inspiration: Nepal's gay icon (Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- Commoner to leader, thousands pay homage to the Mahatma - Oct 02, 2011
- India can lead the world, says Dalai Lama - Apr 02, 2011
- India hails the 'century of Asia and Africa' - Sep 23, 2011
- Book on Mahatma Gandhi released at Delhi Book Fair - Dec 29, 2010
- Pakistani makes Gandhi's portrait with blood - Oct 02, 2011
- Indians, foreigners alike salute Gandhi - Jan 30, 2012
- Dalai Lama gets Mahatma Gandhi peace prize - Jan 04, 2012
- Lia Diskin, a Gandhian in Brazil - Sep 30, 2011
- Hazare threatens third agitation for Jan Lokpal Bill - Sep 11, 2011
- Inspired by Gandhi, Australian citizen organizes peace march in Guwahati - Mar 02, 2011
Tags: advocacy, ahmedabad, chief election commissioner, consensus, dawn, ebrahim, gujarat state, India, jurist, law minister, mahatma gandhi, mohandas karamchand gandhi, panel chief, peace, philosophy, supreme court of pakistan, undergraduate degree, violence