Pakistan’s Memo Commission gets six-week extensionMarch 29th, 2012 - 1:30 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, March 29 (IANS) Pakistan’s Supreme Court Thursday extended the term of the Memo Commission by six weeks, Geo News reported.
The apex-court-appointed Memo Commission is probing Pakistan-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz’s claim to have last year delivered a secret memo to then US joint chiefs chairman Admiral Mike Mullen at the behest of the Pakistani government.
The memo said that Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari feared a coup after Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was killed last May by US commandos. The existance of the memo triggered a scandal and cost Paksitani ambassador Hussain Haqqani his job.
The Supreme Court is currently hearing a petition filed by Haqqani seeking a video link facility for recording statement and a request by the Memo Commission to extend its deadline.
A 10-member bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry took up the matter of video link after the Memo Commission rejected Haqqani’s request.
Haqqani filed his petition March 24 seeking equal opportunity to record his statement from London as it was done in the case of Ijaz.
In his application, Haqqani said that he has grave security concerns following Ijaz’s allegations.
- Memo case: SC to hear Haqqani's plea Thursday - Mar 28, 2012
- 'Memo panel didn't declare Haqqani a traitor' - Jul 13, 2012
- Haqqani seeks video testimony in Memo case - Mar 25, 2012
- Ijaz sticks to his coup claim in testimony from London (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Pakistani official to meet Ijaz in London - Feb 19, 2012
- Pakistan commission records Ijaz testimony - Feb 22, 2012
- Memo scandal: Court dismisses plea against Mansoor Ijaz - Jan 18, 2012
- Ijaz to appear before memo commission Jan 16 (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- 'Haqqani to survive punishment even if link with memo proved' - Jan 09, 2012
- Zardari instucted Haqqani on memo: Ijaz - Feb 23, 2012
- Haqqani did write memo to US, says probe panel - Jun 12, 2012
- Plea filed to block memo panel notice to Zardari - Jan 09, 2012
- Memogate: Ijaz submits details of communications with Haqqani - Feb 24, 2012
- Haqqani indeed wrote secret memo to US: Probe panel (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- BlackBerry phones of Haqqani, Ijaz to be tested - May 10, 2012
Tags: admiral mike mullen, american businessman, apex court, behest, chief justice iftikhar, commandos, existance, geo news, hussain, iftikhar mohammad chaudhry, joint chiefs chairman, justice iftikhar mohammad chaudhry, mohammad, osama bin laden, pakistani government, qaeda leader, secret memo, security concerns, video link, zardari