Pakistan’s central bank reduces policy rateOctober 9th, 2011 - 2:03 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 9 (IANS) In a bid to boost investments and growth, Pakistan’s central bank has reduced policy rate by 150 basis points to 12 percent, authorities said.
The decision was taken at a meeting of the State Bank of Pakistan’s (SBP) central board of directors Saturday.
“Severe energy crisis and precarious law and order conditions continue to render domestic economic environment least conducive for productive activities,” said the central bank while lowering the rate.
“Concerns regarding weak private sector credit growth and falling real private investment expenditures remain along with a likelihood of rise in real interest rates,” it added.
Year-on-year inflation in September 2011 went down to 10.5 percent from 13.3 percent in June 2011.
“There is a decline in CPI inflation and government borrowing from SBP is lower than its end-June level. Led by consistent inflow of workers’ remittances the external current account position is comfortable though there has been some decline in SBP’s foreign exchange reserves,” it said.
However, the central bank in its monetary policy review said risks to macroeconomic stability emanating from fiscal weaknesses and falling foreign financial inflows had not receded yet.
- Sri Lanka's central bank keeps monetary policy unchanged - Oct 11, 2011
- Policy reform, cuts in government spending required: RBI - Aug 23, 2012
- Easing of rates depends on future inflation, growth: RBI - Jan 23, 2012
- India may slow down to 8.4 percent in 2011: World Bank - Jan 13, 2011
- ADB cuts growth projection of developing Asia - Sep 14, 2011
- China projects 4 percent consumer price rise - Mar 05, 2012
- India to cut subsidies to 1.75 percent of GDP in 3 years: Mukherjee - May 05, 2012
- Inflation pressure may re-emerge in India: Morgan Stanley - May 03, 2012
- Economists divided on impact of rate hikes on India's growth - Sep 20, 2011
- China's GDP growth sees moderate slowdown (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Fitch downgrades India's rating to 'negative' - Jun 18, 2012
- Sri Lankan economy registers record growth - Apr 06, 2012
- RBI expected to cut key lending rates to spur growth - Jun 17, 2012
- RBI cuts growth forecast to 6.5 percent, warns on inflation - Jul 30, 2012
- RBI cuts SLR by 1 percent - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: basis points, cpi inflation, current account, decline, economic environment, energy crisis, foreign exchange reserves, inflow, law and order, likelihood, macroeconomic stability, monetary policy, private investment expenditures, private sector, productive activities, remittances, s central, sbp, state bank, state bank of pakistan