Pakistanis abroad may get voting rights: MinisterSeptember 8th, 2011 - 11:35 pm ICT by IANS
Oslo, Sep 8 (IANS) Visiting Pakistani Information and Broadcasting Minister Firdous Ashiq Awan said Thursday her government is considering legislation to grant voting rights to Pakistanis living abroad.
She said that millions of Pakistanis living and working abroad were contributing to Pakistan’s economy and that their role needs to be acknowledged.
She made the remarks during an award ceremony in Oslo organised by the Pakistani community in Norway, Pakistan’s official APP news agency reported.
The Pakistani community had announced it would honour Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani with the Bridge Building Award. Firdous received the award on behalf of the prime minister.
The award had been announced in recognition of Gilani’s services for strengthening democracy, human rights and normalization of India-Pakistan relations.
Awan, who is on a three-day visit to the country, has praised the Pakistani community for promoting ties between the people of the two countries.
On Wednesday, she met with Norwegian Parliament Vice President Per-Kristian Foss and other officials and discussed matters relating to bilateral relations.
- Pakistan information minister resigns - Dec 25, 2011
- Pakistan, Turkey sign media cooperation agreement - Oct 13, 2011
- Gilani meets minister who wept while quitting - Dec 27, 2011
- Pakistan calls Iran a great friend - Nov 04, 2011
- Gilani rejects information minister's resignation (Second Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- Gilani verdict to be appealed: Minister - Apr 26, 2012
- Pakistan wants more EU market access for its products - Oct 12, 2011
- Zardari, Gilani, Kayani discuss secret memo to US - Nov 17, 2011
- Pakistan, China working closely to fight terror: Minister - Sep 05, 2011
- Media should project Pakistan's true image: Minister - Jul 31, 2011
- Pakistani information minister quits over PPP 'attitude' (Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- Condemn NATO attacks, Pakistani minister tells world - Dec 05, 2011
- Verdict inappropriate, says Gilani - Apr 26, 2012
- Pakistan fails to trace journalist's killers - Jan 13, 2012
- Kashmir not on agenda during Gilani's India trip - Mar 29, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,