Pakistani woman seeks son’s release from Indian jailJune 20th, 2012 - 12:53 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 20 (IANS) A Pakistani woman has appealed to President Asif Ali Zardari and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to help her secure the release of her son who has been languishing in a jail in India since 1996.
Amjad Ali Mughal went to New Delhi to sell steel items in 1993 with a valid Pakistani passport and Indian visa, but the Indian authorities arrested and later convicted him on terror charges, the News International reported.
Mughal’s mother Hameeda Begum and brother Nadeem, residents of Lahore, said Mughal was convicted in September 1996 and sentenced to life in prison — up to 14 years in jail according to Indian law.
She said her son completed his life term around four years ago, as the Indian authorities granted him three years’ remission in imprisonment because of his good behaviour.
But Mughal has not been released and is yet to return to his country, Hameeda said.
The family has urged the interior ministry to take up the case with the Indian authorities at some appropriate level to ensure his early release.
The report, however, did not mention where the man was arrested and in which jail he is currently lodged.
- Pakistan does volte-face, says Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit, to be released (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released: Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- Court seeks government response on Pak national's release - May 31, 2011
- Pakistani president pardons Indian jailed for 27 years - Mar 27, 2011
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Jailed Pakistani's plea for release to be heard soon - Sep 06, 2011
- Chisti may meet Sarabjit in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
- 64 Pakistani prisoners repatriated - Nov 10, 2010
- Pakistani daily seeks mechanism on prisoners' repatriation - Apr 16, 2012
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Krishna assures Sarabjit's family he will take up issue - Aug 17, 2012
- Surjeet Singh gets Rs.5 lakh from Punjab government - Jul 19, 2012
- BJP legislator, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya carnage (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Sarabjit's kin in Ajmer, seek his release - Apr 08, 2012
Tags: amjad ali, asif ali zardari, begum, good behaviour, imprisonment, indian authorities, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, indian visa, interior ministry, life in prison, manmohan, manmohan singh, mughal, New Delhi, news international, passport, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, terror charges