Pakistani woman publicly lashed by Taliban wants justiceNovember 30th, 2010 - 7:37 pm ICT by IANS
By Awais Saleem
Islamabad, Nov 30 (IANS) A Pakistani woman who was publicly lashed by Taliban militants on charges of adultery two years ago Tuesday appeared before the media and demanded justice from the government.
The woman, named Saira, who spoke to Express TV in the Swat valley in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, said the Taliban had accused her of having illicit relations.
Denying the accusation, she said: “The Taliban jirga gave me a punishment of 30 lashes in public. I was not even allowed a chance to defend myself.”
Saira’s husband said his wife was a “woman of strength and character” and all charges against her were “baseless”. Her family has demanded the government provide justice and bring the culprits to book.
Saira was lashed in public and a video of the incident was uploaded on YouTube by an unknown person. The incident had caused a huge uproar in the country but authorities at that time had dismissed the video as fake.
The Taliban had imposed their own version of Islamic sharia law in the Swat valley, where men were forced to keep beards and no woman was allowed to step out of her home. The Pakistani military launched a massive operation in 2009 to flush out the terrorists from the valley.
(Awais Saleem can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Another female Taliban victim demands justice - Dec 06, 2010
- Pak woman claims Taliban 'publicly lashed' her over adultery allegations - Dec 01, 2010
- Militant who flogged Pakistani woman arrested - Mar 20, 2012
- US diplomat in Peshawar leaves charge after Taliban threat - Dec 11, 2010
- Zardari stays execution of Christian woman - Nov 19, 2010
- Swat varsity's VC shot dead - Oct 02, 2010
- Pakistani woman on death row likely to get pardon - Nov 20, 2010
- Woman in Taliban love triangle, executed - Jul 10, 2012
- US drone strikes kill 51 in Pakistan (Lead) - Dec 18, 2010
- 51 killed in US drone attacks in Pakistan - Dec 18, 2010
- For plot to kill Musharraf, six get life imprisonment (Lead) - Aug 31, 2010
- 35 NATO oil tankers torched in Pakistan (Lead) - Oct 06, 2010
- Six get life term for plotting Musharraf's murder - Aug 31, 2010
- Terror bid at Pakistan parliament foiled, two arrested (Lead) - Nov 26, 2010
- Pakistani Taliban defends flogging, says Sharia permits it - Apr 04, 2009
Tags: 30 lashes, accusation, adultery, authorities, beards, culprits, gmail, islamic sharia law, jirga, massive operation, militants, pakistan, pakistani military, saleem, swat valley, taliban, terrorists, uproar, youtube