Pakistani troops overrun Taliban base near Afghan borderOctober 25th, 2008 - 4:49 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 25 (DPA) Pakistan’s security forces claimed Saturday they had seized a strategic Taliban militant base in the country’s ungoverned tribal region along the border with Afghanistan.Major General Tariq Khan, inspector general of the paramilitary Frontier Corps, said the troops had taken control of Loi Sam area in Bajaur tribal district, a known sanctuary for Taliban and Al Qaeda fighters carrying out cross-border attacks on US-led international forces in Afghanistan.
Pakistan troops backed by fighter planes and helicopter gunships launched a major offensive in August after militants captured a strategic hilltop in Loi Sam on a road leading into the Afghan province of Kunar, and reinforced their positions in the surrounding areas.
More than 1,500 militants have so far been killed and some 950 were arrested, Khan told reporters in Bjaur’s main town Khar.
“Among the arrested are also Chechen, Uzbak, Tajik and Afghan nationals,” he added.
According to Khan, government forces lost 73 soldiers - 42 army and 31 paramilitary soldiers - while 269 were injured.
He said the local fighters, who were receiving reinforcements from the Taliban in Afghanistan, are still offering tough resistance to the security forces and a period of between six months and one year would be required to gain complete control of Bajaur district.
The security forces are assisted by 11 lashkars, traditional armies formed by local tribesmen.
The fighting in Bajaur has displaced more than 250,000 residents, around 20,000 of which have taken refugee in Kunar.
- Seven militants killed in Afghanstan - Mar 18, 2012
- GenNext of Taliban joins insurgency - Feb 08, 2011
- Pakistan deploys troops along Afghan border - Sep 13, 2011
- 25 Pakistani troopers killed in Taliban attack: Army - Aug 27, 2011
- Troops kill 30 militants in Pakistan - Mar 05, 2010
- Taliban lose their `Hilton' after border battle - Mar 04, 2010
- Taliban, Al Qaeda fight to death in Pakistan - Sep 29, 2008
- 27 militants killed in Afghanistan - Nov 17, 2011
- NATO commander meets Pakistan army chief - Sep 10, 2011
- Pakistani forces repel Taliban attack, 30 insurgents killed - Mar 04, 2010
- 18 militants killed in army operation in Pakistan - Aug 30, 2012
- Pakistan lodges protest with Afghanistan over attacks - Aug 28, 2011
- Nearly 40 dead in Afghan violence - Aug 09, 2012
- Pakistani troops kill 10 militants - Jan 29, 2010
- Pakistan deploys army to stop cross-border attacks - Oct 19, 2011