Pakistani troops kill 27 Islamist militantsOctober 3rd, 2009 - 12:22 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 2 (DPA) Pakistani troops Friday killed 27 militants in the ungoverned north-western tribal district of Khyber that borders Afghanistan, a security official said.
Fazal-ur-Rehman, a spokesman for the paramilitary Frontier Corps, said in a press statement that helicopter gunships targeted various positions of Taliban fighters in Khyber and inflicted heavy casualties on the rebels.
“Twenty-seven militants, including two commanders, died in an operation in Tirah valley of Khyber district,” Rehman said. “Two hideouts, three caves and 19 vehicles including an explosive-laden vehicle were destroyed.”
Pakistan has killed several dozens Islamist insurgents since Sep 1, when it launched a major offensive against them in Khyber, which lies on the main supply route for western troops into the landlocked Afghanistan.
The operation largely focuses on insurgents linked with Lashkar-e-Islami militant group that has close ties with Pakistani Taliban.
The Lashkar-e-Islami is believed to have facilitated the Taliban rebels who have carried out dozens of attacks on NATO convoys, disrupting the supplies several times only this year.
- Eleven militants, one soldier killed in Pakistan - Oct 03, 2009
- Pakistani troops kill 18 militants near Afghan border - Nov 24, 2009
- Suicide bombing kills 19 in Pakistan - Feb 11, 2010
- Suicide bombing kills 10 in Pakistan - Feb 10, 2010
- 10 soldiers killed in Pakistan fighting - Nov 11, 2009
- Suicide bombing kills 13 in Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 10, 2010
- Militants ambush Pakistani troops, killing 9 soldiers - Oct 18, 2011
- Pakistani forces kill 36 militants in northwest - Sep 07, 2009
- Pakistan's military failures emboldening terrorists to launch more attacks - Sep 23, 2010
- Pakistan clashes kill 11 soldiers, 24 militants (Second Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Pakistani helicopters kill 28 Islamist militants - Jul 02, 2009
- 50 militants, two policemen killed in Pakistan clashes - Jul 02, 2009
- 14 security officials killed in militant ambush in Pak's Khyber tribal region - Mar 29, 2011
- US puts 5 Haqqani Network associates on terrorist list - Sep 30, 2011
- 23 Taliban militants killed by Pak security forces in Orakzai - Apr 12, 2010
Tags: borders, caves, close ties, convoys, dpa, heavy casualties, helicopter, hideouts, insurgents, islamabad, islamist militants, khyber district, lashkar, militant group, nato, pakistani troops, rebels, security official, taliban, taliban fighters