Pakistani troops kill 20 militantsOctober 9th, 2008 - 12:31 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 8 (DPA) Pakistan army said Wednesday it had killed at least 20 Taliban militants in the lawless tribal region along the Afghan border.Helicopter gunships and artillery pounded several positions of rebels in Bajaur district, where the military and paramilitary troops are carrying out a major offensive against Al Qaeda and Taliban fighters since early August.
“Eight among the killed were foreigners,” army spokesman Major Murad Khan told DPA.
The term “foreigner” is mostly used to refer to Al Qaeda linked militants of Arab and Central Asian origin.
Fierce clashes over the last two months have killed at least 1,000 rebels and more than two dozen troops, besides causing unknown number of civilian casualties.
More than 250,000 people have fled the fighting to safe places inside Pakistan and over 20,000 to the Afghan province of Kunar.
- Two Pakistani Taliban leaders killed - Sep 02, 2012
- Troops kill 30 militants in Pakistan - Mar 05, 2010
- Airstrikes kill 13 militants in Pakistan - Oct 18, 2008
- Troops kill 12 militants in northwest Pakistan - Jun 28, 2010
- 24 militants killed in aerial strikes in northwest Pakistan - Jul 10, 2009
- Taliban 'captures' dozens of Pak soldiers in FATA - Jun 17, 2010
- Pakistan deploys troops along Afghan border - Sep 13, 2011
- Seven militants killed in Afghanstan - Mar 18, 2012
- Pakistani forces kill 15 militants near Afghan border - Dec 28, 2009
- 25 Pakistani troopers killed in Taliban attack: Army - Aug 27, 2011
- 3 militiamen, over 20 militants killed in Pakistan clashes - Aug 25, 2012
- Schools, universities closed in Pakistan after Taliban attacks - Oct 21, 2009
- Pakistan army kills eight rebels along Afghan border - Oct 26, 2008
- US missile attack kills seven militants in Pakistan - Aug 15, 2010
- 15 dead in Pakistan check post attack (Lead) - Apr 22, 2011