Pakistani troops capture Taliban stronghold, kill 80 militants (Lead)May 20th, 2009 - 9:37 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 20 (DPA) Pakistani troops overran an important militant stronghold in northwestern district of Buner, killing some 80 Taliban fighters, an army spokesman said Wednesday.
“Security forces have cleared Sultan Was area last night after intense clashes,” Major General Athar Abbas told the reporters in Islamabad.
“Reportedly, 80 miscreants, terrorists were killed,” he said.
The government forces, backed by helicopter gunships and jets, launched a major offensive against Taliban in Buner April 28, days after insurgents raided the district from the adjoining Swat valley, occupied the state-buildings and forced civilians to follow their strict, Taliban-style Islamic laws.
Abbas said the militants were using vehicles and black uniforms of the elite police forces. Six such vehicles were destroyed in the Sultanwas fighting.
Security forces defused seven Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) and destroyed concrete underground bunkers and ammunition dumps. One soldier died and nine were critically wounded.
- Pakistan deploys army to stop cross-border attacks - Oct 19, 2011
- Two Pakistani Taliban leaders killed - Sep 02, 2012
- Pak Army exercising restraint during Buner operation: ISPR - Apr 30, 2009
- Ten Taliban, three soldiers killed in Pakistan clashes - Jul 03, 2010
- 30 militants killed in Pakistan air strike (Lead) - May 23, 2010
- 25 extremists killed in FATA as Pak forces continue to pound militant hideouts - Apr 17, 2010
- 18 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Aug 13, 2011
- 100 Taliban insurgents killed in Orakzai offensive : Pak Army - Jul 14, 2010
- Pak fighter jets pound FATA, 15 extremists killed - Jul 08, 2010
- 50 militants killed in Pakistan - Apr 08, 2011
- Pakistan deploys troops along Afghan border - Sep 13, 2011
- Pak Army killed 80 Taliban, destroyed 21 suicide bombing vehicles in Buner - May 04, 2009
- 14 militants killed in Pakistan's tribal region - Jul 19, 2011
- 20 militants killed in Pakistan - Nov 16, 2011
- Taliban 'captures' dozens of Pak soldiers in FATA - Jun 17, 2010
Tags: 28 days, abbas, ammunition dumps, army spokesman, athar, buner, clashes, elite police, explosive devices, helicopter gunships, islamic laws, militant stronghold, miscreants, northwestern district, pakistani troops, security forces, state buildings, swat valley, taliban fighters, underground bunkers