‘Pakistani sex gang had Punjabi values’June 25th, 2012 - 9:27 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 25 (IANS) A British historian has been termed a “racist” and “bigot” after he said a Pakistani sex gang that preyed on young white schoolgirls in Britain had values “entrenched in foothills of the Punjab”.
David Starkey made the comment at the Festival of Education at Wellington College in Berkshire, the Daily Mail reported Monday.
Shabir Ahmed, a Pakistani-origin taxi driver and a father of four, has been sentenced to jail for 19 years. He was found guilty of raping a minor Asian girl 30 times in 10 years.
The other nine Muslim gang members, who groomed girls as young as 13 for sex, were jailed last month for a total of 77 years.
After the Pakistani sex gang members were convicted, Starkey declared that they were “acting within their cultural norm”.
He said the gang needed to be “inculcated in the British ways of doing things”, the Mail said.
Journalist Laurie Penny, who attended the panel event, termed him a racist and a bigot.
Penny, 25, who writes for the New Statesman, accused Starkey of “playing xenophobia and national prejudice for laughs”.
As she spoke, the audience shouted “keep going, keep going”.
The historian, however, walked over to her, jabbed his finger at her face and said: “I will not be lectured to by a jumped-up public school girl like you.”
- Victim asks court to jail Pakistani rapist for life - Jun 23, 2012
- Pakistani ringleader jailed for raping girl 30 times - Jun 22, 2012
- Sexual grooming of white girls an Asian problem: Official - Jun 08, 2012
- British minister slams Pakistani men's mentality - May 19, 2012
- More Asian sex predators held in Britain - Jan 12, 2011
- Six UK footballers jailed for gang raping 12-year-olds - Mar 18, 2011
- Evil UK culture responsible for Asian sex gang attacks: Hate preacher - Jan 17, 2011
- Asian men jailed in UK for grooming young girls to become sex slaves - Nov 27, 2010
- Pakistani men grooming British girls for sex - Jan 05, 2011
- Pakistani gang jailed for raping 50 white British girls - May 09, 2012
- Brit-Pakistani rape convicts jailed, banned from being alone with under-age girls - Jan 17, 2011
- Asian sex gang threatens to hunt schoolgirls who helped put them in jail - Jan 19, 2011
- UK cops couldn't comment on Asian sex gangs for fear of appearing racist - Jan 12, 2011
- British woman jailed for prostituting teenaged girl - Aug 02, 2012
- Thousands of British kids vulnerable to sex abuse - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: 19 years, asian girl, berkshire, british historian, daily mail, david starkey, gang members, laughs, new statesman, pakistani origin, pakistani sex, punjab, punjabi, school girl, schoolgirls, sex gang, shabir, taxi driver, wellington college, xenophobia