Pakistani sentenced to life for passing defence secrets to ISIApril 30th, 2009 - 6:17 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, April 30 (IANS) A city court Thursday sentenced to life imprisonment a Pakistani national for passing on vital Indian defence secrets to Pakistan and for criminal conspiracy.
Malik Arshad Mahmood, 44, was found guilty under sections 3 and 4 of the Official Secrets Act, section 120 B (criminal conspiracy) of the Indian Penal Code, and section 14 of the Foreigners Act.
However, First Additional Metropolitan Sessions judge L. Srirama Murthy, who passed the life sentence on Malik, acquitted his Indian accomplice for want of evidence.
The Pakistani national had been arrested by the police here in 2004 when he was sending the photographs of vital defence establishments to his handlers in Pakistan’s Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) on the internet.
Malik, who had entered India on a fake passport through Bangladesh, was arrested by police on March 9, 2004, from King Kothi area here. A computer and some documents were also seized from him.
Police also arrested Malik’s local accomplice Milind Dattatreya who was arranging funds through illegal hawala channels. During investigations, police also found that four Pakistanis and one Bangladeshi were also helping him but they could not be arrested.
Police had filed a chargesheet against both Malik and Dattatreya. While Malik was convicted and sentenced to 14 years, his local accomplice was acquitted for want of evidence.
- Ex-diplomat Madhuri Gupta's trial for spying from March 22 - Jan 07, 2012
- Pakistani spy held in Delhi with secret defence papers (Second Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Spying case: Court notice to diplomat Madhuri Gupta (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Arun Gawli, 11 others convicted for Sena leader's murder - Aug 24, 2012
- Badal government's lone woman minister convicted, jailed (Roundup) - Mar 30, 2012
- Court awards five-year jail to Kashmiri militant - May 17, 2012
- Supreme Court backs death for Kasab (Sixth Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Yasin Malik arrested in Srinagar (With image) - Jan 06, 2012
- Circumstantial evidence should be conclusive: Supreme Court - Jan 15, 2012
- Air India Kanishka bomber Reyat appeals against perjury conviction - Feb 09, 2011
- Court accepts 26/11 charges against Headley, 8 Pakistanis (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Spying case: Ex-diplomat Madhuri Gupta granted bail (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- 10 years jail for 2008 Thane blasts convicts - Aug 30, 2011
- Shivani murder: R.K. Sharma's acquittal challenged in apex court (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- 26/11 attacker Kasab's death penalty upheld (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2011
Tags: accomplice, act section, criminal conspiracy, dattatreya, defence establishments, defence secrets, fake passport, hyderabad, indian defence, indian penal code, inter services, kothi, life imprisonment, life sentence, murthy, official secrets, pakistanis, secrets act, sending the photographs, srirama