Pakistani prisoner in jail after term ends deportedMarch 21st, 2012 - 1:35 am ICT by IANS
Note to editors: IANS regrets that a story headlined “Pakistani virologist Chisty released, apex court told” moved Monday was factually wrong. A section of the media, including IANS, was led to believe that Mohammad Khaleel Chisty was deported to Pakistan when that was not the case. IANS deeply regrets the error. This is the correct version of what happened.
Pakistani prisoner in jail after term ends deported
New Delhi, March 20 (IANS) A Pakistani national languishing in Amritsar jail even after completing his jail term has been finally released and deported following his petition filed before the Supreme Court.
The apex court was Monday told of Danial Jaffer’s release by his counsel when the case came up before a bench of Justice P. Sathasivam and Justice J. Chelameswar.
Jaffer was sentenced to one year’s imprisonment in a visa violation case. Even though he had undergone the sentence, he was not released. He had then moved the Supreme Court seeking direction for his release.
When Jaffar’s matter was called, his counsel informed the court that he had already been released and deported and there was nothing left in the matter.
- Apex court hints Pakistani virologist may get relief (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Apex court grants bail to Chisti, appreciates India-Pakistan bonhomie (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- SC grants bail to Pakistani doctor Chisty - Apr 09, 2012
- Apex court allows Chisty to visit Pakistan (Second Lead) - May 10, 2012
- SC impleads government on Pakistani virologist's plea (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- SC impleads government on Pakistani virologist's plea - May 04, 2012
- Pakistani virologist Chisty released, apex court told - Mar 19, 2012
- Khalil Chisti's release to take a few days - Apr 09, 2012
- Supreme Court hints Pakistani virologist may get relief - May 07, 2012
- Apex court allows Chisty to visit Pakistan (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Pakistani daily seeks mechanism on prisoners' repatriation - Apr 16, 2012
- Pakistani prisoner Khalil Chisti steps out of jail - Apr 11, 2012
- Chisti may meet Sarabjit in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
- Bail to Chisty comes at a significant time, says nephew - Apr 09, 2012
- Zardari sending plane to fly Chisty home - May 15, 2012