Pakistani politician survives suicide attack (Second Lead)March 3rd, 2012 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, March 3 (IANS) A Pakistani politician had a miraculous escape but a policeman was killed and eight people were injured Saturday when a Taliban suicide bomber blew himself up near the leader’s convoy in the northwest tribal region, police said.
The motorcade of Pakistan Peoples Party-Sherpao leader Aftab Ahmed Khan Sherpao was attacked in Shabqadar area of Charsadda in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, Geo News reported.
The injured include a member of the provincial assembly. He was, however, not named.
Provincial Information Minister Mian Iftikhar Hussain confirmed it was a suicide bombing.
The Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.
Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani strongly condemned the attack and Interior Minister Rehman Malik ordered local authorities to investigate the incident.
Sherpao is the chief of a small party which separated from the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party many years ago.
The politician was on his way back after addressing a public gathering.
Witnesses said the suicide bomber threw himself between a police vehicle and the car carrying Sherpao and detonated the suicide jacket he was wearing.
A bomb disposal squad later found the head and the legs of the suicide bomber.
TV footage showed that two cars in the convoy suffered damage.
An estimated five to six kg of explosives were used in the attack, officials said.
- Pakistani politician escapes bid on life - Mar 03, 2012
- Pakistani politician escapes bid on life (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Pakistani politician escapes bid on life, cop killed (Second Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Four die in Peshawar suicide bombing (Fourth Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- US condemns terror attack in Pakistan - May 14, 2011
- Afghan education minister survives assassination bid - Jul 15, 2012
- Two die as suicide bomber targets US vehicle in Peshawar (Evening Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- One policeman killed in Pakistan blast (Lead) - Nov 12, 2011
- JUI-F chief Fazl-ur Rehman escapes second suicide bomb attack in two days - Mar 31, 2011
- Taliban's revenge: 80 killed in Pakistan suicide blasts (Third Lead) - May 13, 2011
- US consulate vehicles targeted in Peshawar blast, one dead (Second Lead) - May 20, 2011
- 18 die in Pakistan blasts, Fazlur Rehman attacked after WikiLeaks expose (Evening Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- 9 die in second attack on Fazlur Rehman after WikiLeaks expose (Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- Bomb attack strikes U.S. Consulate vehicles in Pakistan - May 20, 2011
- Six killed in Pakistan suicide blast (Second Lead) - May 14, 2011
Tags: aftab ahmed, ahmed khan, bomb disposal squad, charsadda, geo news, gilani, information minister, khyber, local authorities, pakistan peoples party, police vehicle, provincial assembly, rehman malik, sherpao, suicide attack, suicide bomber, suicide jacket, tv footage, two cars, yousuf