Pakistani PM urged to implement apex court’s NRO verdictJune 27th, 2012 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 27 (IANS) Pakistan’s Supreme Court Wednesday urged Prime Minister Raja Parvez Ashraf to implement its verdict cancelling the controversial 2007 presidential ordinance that granted amnesty to politicians and bureaucrats accused of corruption.
A three-member bench of the apex court Wednesday directed the attorney general to consult with the prime minister and revert July 12, Geo News reported.
The National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) was issued by then president Pervez Musharraf. It had enabled former prime minister Benazir Bhutto, who was assassinated in December 2007, her husband Asif Ali Zardari, currently the Pakistani president and a host of others to return home from exile.
The Supreme Court June 19 disqualified Yousuf Raza Gilani as prime minister because its April 26 verdict held him in contempt of court for refusing to write to Swiss authorities to reopen graft cases against Zardari. Gilani contended that Zardari enjoyed immunity and thus could not be proceeded against.
The court had directed the government of then prime minister Gilani to take action against the president after a hearing of the NRO case.
Gilani had pleaded to the apex court that Zardari enjoyed immunity under the constitution until he held the president’s post.
- Pakistani PM appears in Supreme Court - Sep 18, 2012
- Pakistani PM gets two weeks to write to Swiss powers - Jul 25, 2012
- Apex court issues show-cause notice to Pakistani PM - Aug 08, 2012
- Pakistani PM faces SC, seeks time to write Swiss letter (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Letter that closed Zardari graft cases to be withdrawn: PM - Sep 18, 2012
- Pakistan SC orders PM to appear again Sep 18 (Second Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Contempt case: SC to decide Gilani's fate Thursday (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Gilani convicted for contempt, gets symbolic sentence (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Pakistani PM gets time till Aug 8 to write to Swiss powers (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Gilani has committed contempt, rules Pakistan court - Feb 02, 2012
- Gilani reaches court for contempt hearing - Feb 13, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Blow to Zardari as letter closing graft cases to be revoked (Second Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- Gilani convicted for contempt, opposition wants him out (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: amnesty, apex, apex court, ashraf, benazir bhutto, bench, bureaucrats, contempt of court, corruption, exile, former prime minister, geo news, gilani, immunity, june 27, national reconciliation, nro, pervez musharraf, swiss authorities, zardari