Pakistani PM to attend SCO summit in RussiaNovember 1st, 2011 - 5:12 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Nov 1 (IANS) Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani will participate in the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) summit to be held in Russia next week.
Gilani will attend the Council of Heads of Government of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation Member States session in St. Petersburg Nov 7, Xinhua quoted an official announcement from the Pakistan prime minister’s office as stating Monday.
Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has invited Gilani to the summit.
The summit is scheduled to discuss at the session issues of coordination among the countries amid acute problems faced nowadays by the world economy, to determine further steps aimed at developing trade, economic and humanitarian ties between the SCO member states, observers and other regional partners, it said.
The SCO, an inter-governmental mutual-security organisation, was founded in 2001 in Shanghai by the leaders of China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan.
Pakistan has the status of observer along with India, Iran and Mongolia.
The Pakistani Foreign Ministry said the country was desirous of becoming a full member of this forum on account of its immense potential for dealing with common challenges.
The SCO deals with issues of common regional concern, including regional trade, connectivity, energy cooperation, security-related collaboration, drug-trafficking as well as extremism and terrorism.
- Pakistan keen for full membership of regional body - Nov 06, 2011
- Russia seeks India, Pakistan to join SCO - May 12, 2012
- Pakistan seeks full membership of Shanghai group - Jun 13, 2011
- Zardari, Ahmadinejad reach China for Shanghai summit - Jun 05, 2012
- Chinese PM to visit Russia - Nov 06, 2011
- Russia backs India for SCO member - Nov 17, 2011
- Ahmadinejad to attend Shanghai summit - Jun 03, 2012
- India ups SCO sales pitch - Jun 07, 2012
- More cooperation among regional nations crucial: Gilani - Nov 08, 2011
- Krishna, in 'holding room', with Zardari at Beijing - Jun 06, 2012
- China to issue $10 bn in loans to SCO members - Jun 07, 2012
- Putin proposes anti-terror centre in SCO - Jun 07, 2012
- SCO summit convenes in Beijing - Jun 05, 2012
- India to pitch for larger role at SCO summit - May 27, 2012
- Pakistan wants full SCO membership - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: acute problems, drug trafficking, energy cooperation, extremism, foreign ministry, gilani, heads of government, islamabad, member states, mutual security, pakistani prime minister, regional concern, regional partners, regional trade, russian prime minister, shanghai cooperation organisation, vladimir putin, world economy, xinhua, yousuf