Pakistani PM files appeal in contempt of courtFebruary 8th, 2012 - 1:35 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 8 (IANS) Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani Wednesday filed an appeal in the Supreme Court against the order to summon him in a contempt of court case, a media report said.
The prime minister’s counsel Aitzaz Ahsan filed the appeal in the apex court against the order summoning the Gilani Feb 13 to chargesheet him in the contempt of court case, Geo News reported.
Gilani had appeared before the Supreme Court Jan 19 in the contempt case for not acting against President Asif Ali Zardari for corruption and defended his move, saying that the constitution provided immunity to the president.
In Wednesday’s appeal, Gilani pleaded the court to set aside its Feb 2 order as well as recall the contempt notice served on him for not implementing the court’s order on the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO).
Ahsan raised 54 points in the appeal that runs into over 200 pages.
The court had issued Gilani a contempt notice Jan 16.
The apex court had warned the government of action if its ruling on the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO), granting immunity to politicians and bureaucrats in corruption cases, was not implemented by Jan 10, 2012.
The court had also sought reopening of cases closed under the NRO, struck down as void in 2009. It had ordered the government to write a letter to the Swiss authorities to reopen cases against the president.
Zardari, accused of graft, had been granted amnesty under the NRO which was issued in 2007 by then president Pervez Musharraf to facilitate the return of former prime minister Benazir Bhutto and her husband Zardari.
- Gilani contempt: Court summons top official - Feb 28, 2012
- Gilani's appeal in contempt case rejected by apex court - Feb 10, 2012
- Gilani has committed contempt, rules Pakistan court - Feb 02, 2012
- No contempt proceedings if president has immunity: Pakistani court - Feb 01, 2012
- Contempt of court: Supreme Court adjourns till Feb 1 - Jan 19, 2012
- Gilani contempt verdict to be announced April 26 - Apr 24, 2012
- Evidence submitted in Gilani's contempt case - Feb 22, 2012
- Gilani convicted for contempt, gets symbolic sentence (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- First for Pakistan, PM indicted for contempt (Second Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Contempt case: SC to decide Gilani's fate Thursday (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Gilani indicted for contempt (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Gilani won't ask Switzerland to reopen cases against Zardari - Feb 10, 2012
- Can't write letter against Zardari: Gilani's counsel to court - Mar 21, 2012
- Apex court issues show-cause notice to Pakistani PM - Aug 08, 2012
- Pakistan's Supreme Court issues contempt notice to Gilani - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: aitzaz ahsan, apex court, asif ali zardari, benazir bhutto, bureaucrats, contempt case, contempt notice, contempt of court, corruption cases, court case, former prime minister, geo news, gilani, graft, granting immunity, national reconciliation, nro, pervez musharraf, swiss authorities, yousuf