Pakistani panel spent Rs.285mn just for publicityDecember 28th, 2010 - 3:12 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Dec 28 (IANS) Pakistan’s Privatisation Commission spent for its publicity campaign in the past 17 months a whopping Rs.285 million — an amount sufficient for the country’s railways to purchase nine locomotives.Express Tribune reported Tuesday that the Privatisation Commission spent Rs.285 million on its publicity campaign, which is five times its entire budget for the current year.
Sources said the massive expenditure had been incurred since August 2009, with the monthly average coming to Rs.17.8 million.
Railways Minister Ghulam Ahmad Bilour said the money spent on publicity could have bought the Railways nine locomotives with the cost of one engine being Rs.30 million.
The money was spent out of the Privatisation Fund, which is pooled by deducting two percent of the proceeds from privatising public sector entities. This fund can only be used to meet expenses specific to the privatisation process, the media report said.
Since 1991, Pakistan has privatised 167 entities worth Rs.476.5 billion.
- Release funds to railways: Zardari to government - Oct 18, 2011
- Pakistan to lease 50 rail engines from India - Sep 25, 2011
- Run trains on time, says Pakistan PM (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Over a third of Pakistani locomotives don't work - Oct 29, 2010
- Pakistan Railways on road to revival? - Aug 20, 2012
- 300 of Pakistan's 500 locomotives out of order - Oct 11, 2011
- Pakistan Railways to get Rs.4 bn bailout package - Oct 23, 2011
- Mamata favours private partnership for coach factories - Apr 20, 2010
- Run trains on time, directs Pakistani PM - Jul 05, 2012
- Indian Railways to borrow $3.3 bn from market in 2012-13 - Mar 14, 2012
- Pakistan Railways gets money to keep it running - Dec 30, 2010
- 11.1-bn-rupee bailout package insufficient for multibillion loss-stricken Pak Railways - Mar 22, 2011
- Chinese locomotives chug into trouble in Pakistan - Jun 06, 2012
- Trivedi proposes new projects for home state, constituency - Mar 14, 2012
- Panel suggests Rs.800,000 crore railways modernisation plan - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: 30 million, ahmad, budget, ghulam, locomotives, money spent on, pakistan, privatisation commission, privatisation fund, proceeds, public sector entities, publicity campaign, railways, whopping rs