Pakistani-origin woman told she was too dark to play a hobbitNovember 30th, 2010 - 8:02 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 30 (IANS) A Pakistani-origin British woman has accused the casting manager of filmmaker Peter Jackson’s “The Hobbit” movie of racism because he told her she was “too dark” to play one of the diminutive creatures, a media report said Tuesday.
Naz Humphreys attended a casting session in Hamilton, New Zealand, last week and stood in line for three hours only to be told later her skin tone was not suitable.
Video footage from the audition showed the casting manager telling people they were looking for light-skinned people to play Hobbits, the Daily Mail reported citing The Waikato Times.
He tells the would-be Hobbits: “I’m not trying to be… whatever. It’s just the brief. You’ve got to look like a Hobbit.”
Humphreys said: “It’s 2010 and I still can’t believe I’m being discriminated against because I have brown skin. The casting manager basically said they weren’t having anybody who wasn’t pale-skinned.”
The Pakistani-origin woman had hoped for a bit part in “The Hobbit” - a two-part prequel to the Oscar-winning “Lord Of The Rings” series.
She has now set up a Facebook group called “Hire hobbits of all colours! Say no to hobbit racism!”
“I would love to be an extra. But it just seemed like a shame because obviously Hobbits are not brown or black or any other colour. They all look kind of homogenised beige and all derived from the Caucasian gene pool,” Humphreys said.
A spokesman for Peter Jackson said he was unaware of the casting restriction and described it as an “incredibly unfortunate error”.
“It is not something the producers or the director of ‘The Hobbit’ were aware of. They would never issue instructions of this kind to the casting crew. All people meeting the age and height requirements are welcome to audition,” he said.
- Racism row over Brit Pak woman being 'too brown' to play Hobbit - Nov 29, 2010
- Casting agent sacked over 'The Hobbit' racism row in New Zealand - Nov 30, 2010
- James Nesbitt to star in 'The Hobbit' - Nov 03, 2010
- Hobbit movie will be filmed in New Zealand despite row, says Andy Serkis - Oct 26, 2010
- 'Hobbit' team seeks short actors - Sep 25, 2010
- It's official: Elijah Wood is starring in 'The Hobbit' - Jan 10, 2011
- Lost star Evangeline Lilly to star in Hobbit - Jun 21, 2011
- Tobey Maguire to star in 'The Hobbit' - Jan 22, 2010
- Diminutive Actors For 'Hobbit' Sought - Sep 27, 2010
- Rob Kazinsky quits 'The Hobbit' due to personal reasons - Apr 26, 2011
- Martin Freeman set to play Bilbo in 'The Hobbit' - Oct 22, 2010
- Cate Blanchett joins 'The Hobbit' cast - Dec 09, 2010
- 'Curse of The Hobbit' strikes again as fire destroys workshop set - Oct 02, 2010
- Orlando Bloom to star in 'The Hobbit' - May 28, 2011
- Peter Jackson blasts Oz Union calling for global actor boycott of 'Hobbit' film - Oct 01, 2010
Tags: bit part, british woman, brown skin, casting crew, daily mail, filmmaker, gene pool, hamilton new zealand, hobbit movie, humphreys, lord of the rings series, naz, pakistani origin, peter jackson, play one, prequel, skin tone, unfortunate error, video footage, waikato times