Pakistani MPs urge government to restore Haj quotaJune 20th, 2009 - 9:37 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 20 (IANS) Cutting across the political divide, Pakistani parliamentarians Saturday urged the government to restore their Haj quota, the Online news agency said.
The government Wednesday abolished the Haj quota of all parliamentarians, including the president and the prime minister, in order to “provide equal chance” to every aspirant.
Pakistani Senate chairman Jan Muhammad Jamali Saturday called for the restoration of the Haj quota, saying that there was a common consensus among the political parties on the issue.
He said the federal minister for religious affairs Hamid Saeed Kazmi should talk to the prime minister to ensure the restoration of Haj quota.
Earlier, while announcing a new Haj policy for 2009, Minister for Information and Broadcasting Qamar Zaman Kaira said the government and private tour operators will equally share the Haj quota this year.
He said the government has requested Saudi Arabia for additional quota of 10,000 pilgrims. The cabinet also decided not to issue new license to any fresh tour operator.
Around 160,000 Pakistani Muslims will perform the holy journey to Makkah. The government and private operators will each send 80,000 pilgrims, said Kaira.
- Pakistan abolishes Haj quota of MPs - Jun 18, 2009
- Apex court backs women tour operators on Haj quota (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Haj subsidy to end in 10 years, rules Supreme Court (Roundup) - May 08, 2012
- Apex court backs women tour operators on Haj quota - Apr 30, 2012
- Haj VIP quota is bad: Supreme Court - Oct 18, 2011
- Three Indian Haj pilgrims die - Oct 07, 2011
- Remove Haj subsidy in 10 years, SC tells government (Second Lead) - May 08, 2012
- 'Pakistani, Indian MPs one on peace talks' - Aug 21, 2011
- Court curbs on Haj quota of private tour operators - Sep 19, 2011
- Pakistani officials in Saudi Arabia to probe Haj scandal - Dec 16, 2010
- Over 34,000 Indian Haj pilgrims in Saudi Arabia - Oct 08, 2011
- Over 23,000 Indians arrive in Saudi Arabia for Haj - Oct 05, 2011
- Remove Haj subsidy in 10 years, SC tells government (Third Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Haj tour operators demand release of quota - Sep 12, 2011
- SC declines government's plea on VIP Haj quota - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: aspirant, federal minister, holy journey, jan muhammad, kaira, kazmi, mps, muhammad jamali, parliamentarians, pilgrims, political parties, private operators, private tour operators, qamar, quota, religious affairs, saudi arabia, senate chairman, tour operator, zaman