Pakistani man to donate money quake-hit familiesJanuary 23rd, 2011 - 11:11 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 23 (IANS) A Pakistani philanthropist has said he would provide Rs. 10,000 in cash to every family affected by the Jan 19 earthquake in Balochistan.Abdul Sattar Edhi, founder of the Edhi Foundation, said he would also visit the quake-hit townships in Dalbandin and distribute 400 tents for the affected people.
“I came to know through media that 200 houses had been damaged by the earthquake. I will visit the areas to meet the affected people and will help them,” he was quoted as saying by the Express Tribune.
As humans it was the responsibility of all to help their brothers in this hour of need, he said.
“I had received good response from the people of Balochistan during floods and feel that they love me,” he said.
Edhi said because of unfair distribution of resources and wealth, Pakistan has been compounded by poverty.
People affected by this week’s earthquake are facing an acute shortage of tents and blankets. They have been left to cope with the vagaries of freezing weather without proper shelter and are living in damaged houses, some of whose boundary walls have collapsed, according to reports.
“There were no casualties but the earthquake has damaged more than 250 mud houses. This number is bound to go up because our assessment is in preliminary stages and other remote areas are only now being accessed,” Balochistan Assistant Commissioner Tufail Baloch said.
- Quake damaged 200 houses in Pakistan town - Jan 20, 2011
- Moderate earthquake rattles southwest Pakistan, destroys homes - Aug 10, 2011
- 35 injured, 64,500 affected in China quake (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Powerful 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Pakistan - Jan 19, 2011
- Abdul Sattar Edhi: the salve on Pakistan's wounds - Dec 04, 2011
- 1,000 feared killed as major quake jolts Turkey - Oct 23, 2011
- Turkey quake toll rises to 523 - Oct 27, 2011
- Death toll rises to 56 after flash floods in Papua, Indonesia - Oct 05, 2010
- China quake kills 64, injures over 700 (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- 24 killed, 150 injured in China quake (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Strong Earthquake Rattles Pakistan - Jan 19, 2011
- China quake toll rises to 25 - Mar 11, 2011
- Pak spy agencies involved in over one thousand murder cases in Balochistan: Report - Mar 22, 2011
- Quake-hit Pakistani town still lives in fear - Nov 02, 2010
- Rahul to visit quake-hit Sikkim (Lead) - Sep 20, 2011
Tags: abdul sattar, acute shortage, assistant commissioner, baloch, blankets, boundary walls, casualties, earthquake, edhi foundation, floods, jan 19, mud houses, pakistani man, philanthropist, quake, tents, townships, unfair distribution, vagaries, weather