Pakistani leaders seeking consensus on early pollsJanuary 26th, 2012 - 10:44 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 26 (IANS) Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam (Fazlur) chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman said Thursday consultations were underway among Pakistan’s political parties for evolving consensus on holding early elections.
Early elections and a change in the system were inevitable in the current scenario of political blame-game, Dawn quoted Rehman as stating at a press conference Thursday.
He also said that no Islamic country in the world was a model for Muslims.
Earlier this month, Rehman had urged Pakistan’s opposition parties to evolve a consensus on setting up an independent Election Commission for holding free, fair and transparent elections.
He had asked the parties to evolve consensus on three important issues: Forming an independent and powerful Election Commission, a caretaker set-up for holding the elections and formulation of updated electoral rolls after deleting 35 million bogus names.
- Independent Election Commission sought in Pakistan - Jan 08, 2012
- PPP asks JUI-F chief to withdraw from PM race - Jun 22, 2012
- Pak clerics launch campaign to protect blasphemy laws - Dec 16, 2010
- JUI-F slams Pak Govt for non-provision of enhanced security to Fazlur Rehman - Apr 01, 2011
- JUI-F chief offered to mediate between US, Taliban during 2007 India visit: WikiLeaks - Apr 01, 2011
- PML-Q offers help to JUI-F in ousting Balochistan government - Dec 21, 2010
- 'Pakistan army will face suicide attacks in North Waziristan' - Jun 12, 2011
- CIA, provincial govt blamed for Swabi suicide attack targeting Pak politician - Mar 31, 2011
- Pakistan opposition names PM candidates - Jun 21, 2012
- 9 die in second attack on Fazlur Rehman after WikiLeaks expose (Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- Pakistani leader opposes commission on Osama killing - Jun 13, 2011
- With 29 members, PML-N tops list of 105 'fake degree-holding Pak parliamentarians' - Dec 03, 2010
- Life attacks on JUI-F chief reveal gulf between militants and sympathetic Pak politicians - Apr 01, 2011
- JUI chief Fazlur Rehman barred from entering US - Sep 21, 2010
- National consensus on Kashmir needed: former Pakistani PM - Jun 18, 2011
Tags: blame game, caretaker, consensus, consultations, election commission, electoral rolls, game dawn, independent election, islam, islamic country, jamiat, muslims, opposition parties, pakistan, pakistani leaders, political parties, polls, rehman, transparent elections, ulema