Pakistani journalist manhandledAugust 10th, 2011 - 1:27 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Aug 10 (IANS) A journalist was manhandled for exposing malpractices at a premier hospital in Karachi, a media report said.
The health reporter associated with a news agency was manhandled Tuesday by the kitchen in-charge of Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre, Daily Times reported.
The reporter was beaten and threatened for exposing malpractices in the hospital’s kitchen, including sub-standard food served to patients.
The incident comes within days of police personnel attacking two security guards of a Peshawar-based Urdu newspaper.
Another journalist Saleem Shahzad, 40, was kidnapped in Islamabad May 29. Two days later, his body, bearing marks of severe torture, was found dumped in a canal in Punjab province.
Shahzad is widely believed to have been picked up by intelligence officials for alleging in an article that terrorists attacked a key naval base in Karachi May 22 after the navy refused to free sailors held for suspected militant links.
In June, a journalist working for Britain’s Guardian newspaper was attacked by policemen apparently over his appearance in a TV talk show.
- Zardari seeks probe into attack on journalist - Aug 23, 2011
- Abducted Pakistani journalist freed - Oct 13, 2011
- Pakistani scribes demand clarification over killing - Aug 30, 2011
- Pakistani journalist Hamid Mir to get security - Dec 23, 2011
- Pakistan fails to trace journalist's killers - Jan 13, 2012
- `Pakistani journalist's killers wanted to set an example' - Jun 04, 2011
- Panel probing journalist's killing unhappy - Jul 10, 2011
- Slain Pakistani journalist's widow records statement - Sep 21, 2011
- Panel on Pakistani journalist's killing gets phone record - Jul 28, 2011
- Shahzad murder probe panel fails to get phone record - Jul 20, 2011
- Journalist beaten up in Pakistan - Jun 20, 2011
- Pakistan Army offers to back Shahzad's murder probe - Jun 20, 2011
- Pakistan trying to protect journalists: Minister - Jul 07, 2011
- Anger grows over Pakistani journalist's murder - Jun 01, 2011
- Police unable to access murdered Pakistani journalist's email - Jun 21, 2011
Tags: appearance, centre daily times, guardian newspaper, health reporter, intelligence officials, malpractices, navy, news agency, pakistani journalist, policemen, postgraduate medical centre, sailors, security guards, severe torture, shahzad, terrorists, tv talk show, urdu newspaper