Pakistani hotel introduces braille menu for blindDecember 4th, 2010 - 3:01 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Dec 4 (IANS) A hotel in Islamabad has introduced a menu in braille for its visually impaired guests on World Disability Day.
Serena Hotel Islamabad has become the first hotel in Pakistan to have menus in braille, Daily Times reported Saturday.
The hotel’s general manager Peter Hill said: “People with disability are denied basic rights but they are highly productive if given a chance to prove themselves. Employers must take positive steps on this international day and give equal opportunities to them.”
“Serena Hotel is the first hotel in Pakistan to launch braille menu service to serve its visually impaired,” he added.
Special Talent Exchange Programme (STEP) president Atif Sheikh said: “There is a need of an inclusive society with accessibility for all - able or disabled.”
“We want proper legislation for disabled people not just policies and conventions,” said Sheikh.
He said almost 10 percent population of Pakistan was disabled.
- Bihar's visually impaired to get RTI Act copy in Braille - Nov 10, 2011
- Wasnik releases Microsoft's disabled-friendly software tools - Dec 03, 2011
- Delhi University works to enable the disabled - Jul 28, 2010
- Visually impaired participate as navigators in a Delhi car rally - Mar 13, 2011
- Omar's kind gesture: Gives Rs.1 lakh to blind Jammu lawyer - Mar 30, 2012
- News at fingertips - for the blind (With Image) - Jun 09, 2011
- A dinner to remember in Pakistan (Islamabad diary) - Sep 08, 2012
- India has long way ahead to empower disabled: survey - Dec 05, 2008
- NHRC chief releases book on rights of persons with disabilities - Sep 03, 2010
- Schools seek government aid for educating disabled - Jan 30, 2012
- Winds of change for physically challenged (Feature) - Mar 04, 2012
- Meet moots equal opportunities for Pakistani women - Oct 11, 2011
- New law to bring dignity to disabled: PM - Jun 17, 2011
- ATM for blind launched in Sharjah - Jul 05, 2012
- Individuals, groups working to empower the disabled awarded - Aug 14, 2012
Tags: accessibility, atif, braille, conventions, disability, disabled people, equal opportunities, first hotel, hotel in islamabad, legislation, menu service, menus, pakistani hotel, population of pakistan, sheikh, talent exchange