Pakistani government plans novel housing moveMarch 20th, 2012 - 1:19 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, March 20 (IANS) The Pakistani government plans to ask its employees occupying 28,000 official residences across the country to vacate so that they can be used for commercial purposes.
The government employees will then be given house rent.
According to an estimate, the house rent would cost the government between Rs.35 billion and Rs.40 billion, but the commercial use of the 28,000 houses is expected to earn it much more.
“The plan is being discussed with the Planning Commission, finance ministry, housing ministry and the Capital Development Authority,” Dawn quoted Secretary Housing Kamran Lashari as saying.
“The plan is a replica of a recently implemented plan of the government under which official cars of government servants were given to them on specific terms and conditions after which they will get monthly transportation allowance but the government will not provide official vehicle to any employee,” he added.
The government has always faced a problem in providing official accommodation due to shortage of houses.
As part of the plan, all government houses will be reused and may be sold according to the market value.
“We can also construct high-rise buildings and commercial centres in place of existing old government houses,” the secretary said.
- Gilani's son, named in drug scam, returns from South Africa - Apr 22, 2012
- Rent dues notice to Meira Kumar withdrawn - May 08, 2012
- Pranab's budget has Rs.8,000 crore for Kashmir's development - Feb 28, 2011
- Air India: Selling family silver to ease finances - Jul 15, 2012
- Pakistan floods: newborns likely to be malnourished - Aug 20, 2010
- Pakistan PM moves to fix power crisis - Jun 24, 2012
- Jayalalithaa dismayed by plan allocation - Jun 04, 2012
- Action sought against Pakistan army officers for $1.4 bn fraud - Jun 11, 2011
- Government to stick to fiscal deficit target, borrowing limit - Apr 09, 2011
- A list of the scandals that hit UPA government - Mar 17, 2011
- Delhi court evicts tenant from ex-official's flat - Jul 01, 2012
- Pakistan Army slapped with Rs.120 bn `bill' for using stadium - Jan 21, 2011
- China drought impacts 190,000 people - Aug 04, 2011
- Nepal civil servants create history - on Everest (Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Nepal civil servants show top performance - on Everest - May 18, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,