Pakistani girls killed for dancing reported aliveJune 18th, 2012 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 18 (IANS) Five Pakistani girls who were reportedly killed on the orders of a tribal council for dancing and clapping with two young men in the northwest tribal region are still alive, a minister has said.
The controversy emerged after a video surfaced showing the five girls dancing at a private gathering in Beech Bela village of Kohistan in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
“Ample evidence, collected by a fact-finding mission of the provincial government, is available, on the basis of which it has been established that all the five girls are alive and safe,” provincial Minister for Information Mian Iftikhar Hussain was quoted as saying by Dawn News.
He said the evidence established that neither any jirga (tribal assembly) had taken place nor a religious decree issued by any cleric to kill the girls.
Hussain said the team comprising an additional sessions judge appointed by the Supreme Court and MP Bushra Gohar visited Beech Bela over the weekend to find out the whereabouts of the girls.
The team met four of the girls — Sareen Jan, Begum Jan, Aamna and Shaheen — and interviewed them.
The fifth girl, Bazgha, could not be reached but the team spoke with her parents, he said.
“All those present on the occasion gave evidence in front of the official team that all the five girls were alive and safe,” Hussain said.
Such misleading information about the killing defamed the province, Pakhtun culture and the traditional institution of the jirga, he said.
He said the provincial government would take legal action against the people responsible for spreading rumours about the murder.
- Militants gun down 18 bus passengers in Pakistan (Evening Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Honour killing: Woman shot dead in Pakistan - Mar 07, 2012
- Pakistani politician survives suicide attack (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Militants gun down 18 bus passengers in Pakistan (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Pakistani tribal council bans mobile phones with camera - Jun 02, 2011
- 200 killed as rains, floods continue to wreak havoc in Pak - Jul 30, 2010
- Taliban step up attacks ahead of Afghan Loya Jirga - Nov 04, 2011
- Four women killed for dancing at Pakistani wedding - Jun 04, 2012
- 20 killed in blast outside Pakistan police station (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Husband stabs wife to death in Delhi - Jun 22, 2011
- Are we living in Stone age, asks Pakistan court - Mar 28, 2012
- Pak couple face death by stoning after adultery conviction - Jul 19, 2010
- US drone attacks Pak making women, kids "psychologically ill": Tribal council - Mar 09, 2011
- Munter participates in Pashtun tribal jirga in Quetta - Apr 30, 2011
- Dialogue important for peace in Baltistan: Malik - Mar 10, 2012
Tags: ample evidence, begum, bela, bushra, cleric, controversy, dawn news, fact finding mission, gohar, hussain, kohistan, mp, pakistani girls, provincial government, provincial minister, rumours, sessions, shaheen, tribal council, young men