Pakistani ghazal singer Mehdi Hassan loses his memoryNovember 14th, 2010 - 3:08 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Nov 14 (ANI): Pakistani ghazal singer Mehdi Hassan has lost his memory owing to protracted illness.
The ailing singer’s life is oscillating between desperation and hope as sometimes he feels well and occasionally doctors pronounce his condition as critical, reports The Nation.
Hassan, who once enthralled the entire world through his melodious voice, was admitted to Sir Agha Khan Hospital in Karachi on government expenses after the media raised the issue of his disease and none of the authorities was taking keen interest in providing him financial support.
A sector in-charge in the City Traffic Police Sajjad Mehdi, son of Mehdi Hasan, has requested the latter’s fans to pray for his early recovery.
Sajjad said Khan Sahib had visited Lahore some four months back and was feeling well.
Although the great Khan had been confined to bed and he had lost maximum part of his memory and could not speak fluently but his shadow was a blessing for the family, the son said.
He said Abba was dependent on liquid food and due to improper nourishing and chest infection he had become very weak.
He further said his father wished to come to Lahore but could not do so, as according to the doctors, he could only be treated at Sir Agha Khan Hospital.
“My father could not bear the demise of my mother in 1999 and taking it to his heart, he suffered attack of paralysis and was confined to bed and wheelchair,” Sajjad said.
Mehdi Hasan Khan was born in 1927 in a village of Luna, Rajasthan, India, but the family shifted to Pakistan after the partition. He started singing in 1957 with Radio Pakistan and in a short span of time he proved himself a trendsetter in the world of singing.
Sajjad said the Indian authorities offered his father many times with lot of privileges to come and stay there permanently but he always refused, as he loved and wished to serve Pakistan. (ANI)
- Mehdi Hassan: end of golden era of ghazal (Obituary) - Jun 13, 2012
- Big B mourns ghazal singer Mehdi Hassan's death - Jun 14, 2012
- Ghazal maestro Mehdi Hassan battling illness - Feb 08, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee condoles Mehdi Hassan's death - Jun 13, 2012
- Ghazal maestro Mehdi Hassan is dead (Second Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Mehdi Hassan to be laid to rest Friday - Jun 13, 2012
- Flyover, park to be dedicated to Mehdi Hassan - Apr 25, 2011
- Kashmiri artists and ghazal lovers mourn Mehdi Hassan - Jun 13, 2012
- Bollywood remembers 'immortal' Mehdi Hassan - Jun 13, 2012
- Mehdi Hassan - my immortal 'ghazal traash' (Tribute) - Jun 13, 2012
- Media promotes ghazals poorly in India, Pakistan: Asif Mehdi (With Image) - Dec 10, 2009
- Mohan Khan set to pay tribute to Mehdi Hassan (With Images) - Jul 11, 2012
- Ali Zafar prays for Mehdi Hassan's good health - Jan 16, 2012
- Ghazal maestro Mehdi Hassan is dead (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Jagjit's ghazals transcended boundaries: Pakistani daily - Oct 11, 2011
Tags: agha khan hospital, ailing singer, chest infection, city traffic, critical reports, ghazal singer, government expenses, great khan, hasan khan, indian authorities, keen interest, liquid food, mehdi hasan, mehdi hassan, melodious voice, protracted illness, radio pakistan, rajasthan india, sahib, traffic police