Pakistani gets bail to prove innocenceMarch 20th, 2012 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 20 (IANS) A court Tuesday granted interim bail to a Pakistani, accused of entering India illegally as a spy, so that he could prove his innocence.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav granted two weeks bail to Imran so that he can place documents in the court to prove he has applied to the central government to permanently settle down in India.
“Considering the facts and circumstances of the case from a human angle, it (is) a fit case for grant of interim bail to accused on his furnishing surety and personal bond of Rs.20,000 each,” the magistrate said.
Imran and his wife Soofia Kanwal, who lived in Karachi, were arrested in December. Police said the couple entered India at the behest of Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) agency.
Imran told the court that he was an Indian by birth and was living in Gujarat. He went to Pakistan at the age 15 and acquired Pakistani citizenship.
Imran said he was implicated wrongly because police gave false details about him.
He claimed he was arrested in November 2011 but police said he was held a month later.
Police had seized a Pakistani national identity card in Imran’s name, a Pakistani citizenship card of Soofia Kanwal, a driving licence of Gujarat, and an Indian PAN card.
Imran told the court that he returned to India to settle here permanently and urged the judge to give him a few days so that he could prove his innocence.
- Pakistani granted bail - Apr 09, 2012
- 'Pakistani' submits documents to prove innocence - Mar 23, 2012
- Two Pakistani agents arrested in Delhi: Police - Dec 12, 2011
- Indian police arrest two alleged Pakistani spies - Dec 14, 2011
- IPL player Luke Pomersbach gets bail (Lead) - May 19, 2012
- Two Pakistani Hindus get bail in grave digging case - Nov 10, 2011
- VM Thrown out of house by son, elderly woman pleads for him - Jul 03, 2012
- IUML worker's murder: Kerala CPI-M leader gets bail - Aug 27, 2012
- Abu Salem gets bail in extortion case - Jun 26, 2012
- Abu Salem gets bail in extortion case (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Bhushan attackers released on bail (Lead) - Oct 14, 2011
- Maharashtra Police officer gets bail in rape case - Apr 23, 2012
- 22 get bail in 2009 Delhi Metro pillar collapse case - Jul 23, 2012
- Controversial guru Nityananda granted bail - Jun 15, 2012
- RCB player Luke Pomersbach gets bail - May 19, 2012
Tags: behest, central government, circumstances, citizenship, driving licence, few days, furnishing, gujarat, human angle, innocence, inter services, isi, kanwal, magistrate, national identity card, New Delhi, pakistan, personal bond, spy, surety