Pakistani envoys to US and UN in a fixJune 22nd, 2012 - 4:07 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 22 (IANS) Pakistan’s envoys to the US and the UN, Sherry Rehman and Abdullah Hussain Haroon, are reportedly facing diplomatic problems after Yousuf Raza Gilani’s disqualification as the prime minister by the Supreme Court.
Ambassador Rehman, who was appointed after the recall of Husain Haqqani, was also enjoying the status of a federal minister that ended after the dissolution of Gilani’s cabinet, Geo News reported Friday.
Rehman said she was categorically directed to continue her work till the next order.
Haroon, the permanent representative to the UN, however, said he was tendering his resignation and will wait till its approval or till receiving further directives.
Haqqani was forced to resign last year after Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz claimed the envoy had asked him to pass on a memo from President Asif Ali Zardari to then chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff Mike Mullen, seeking help from the US government in case of a military coup in Pakistan following the killing of Osama bin Laden.
Haqqani was recalled from Washington and faced a Supreme Court enquiry.
- Memo scandal: Court dismisses plea against Mansoor Ijaz - Jan 18, 2012
- BlackBerry phones of Haqqani, Ijaz to be tested - May 10, 2012
- Provide security to Mansoor Ijaz: Pakistan judicial panel - Jan 24, 2012
- Ex-Pakistani official refuses to head memo probe - Dec 03, 2011
- Sherry Rehman appointed Pakistan's envoy to US - Nov 23, 2011
- Probe into memo will be made public: minister - Nov 24, 2011
- Haqqani flies out of Pakistan - Jan 31, 2012
- Court allows Haqqani to travel abroad - Jan 30, 2012
- US think tank fears for Haqqani's life - Jan 10, 2012
- No threat of military coup: Gilani - Dec 02, 2011
- Threat call for Mansoor Ijaz's daughter - Mar 14, 2012
- Ijaz sticks to his coup claim in testimony from London (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Zardari instucted Haqqani on memo: Ijaz - Feb 23, 2012
- Memo issue will grow bigger and bigger, says Pakistani daily - Nov 25, 2011
- Explanation sought on Mullen memo: Gilani - Nov 18, 2011
Tags: american businessman, asif ali, chairman of the us joint chiefs of staff, chiefs of staff, dissolution, federal minister, geo news, gilani, haqqani, haroon, hussain, joint chiefs of staff, mike mullen, military coup, osama bin laden, raza, resignation, sherry rehman, us government, us joint chiefs of staff