Pakistani daily rues Osama film shoot disruption in IndiaMarch 5th, 2012 - 2:04 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, March 5 (IANS) The disruption by the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) of Hollywood director Kathryn Bigelow’s film shoot in the Indian city of Chandigarh on Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden’s killing was unfortunate, a leading Pakistani daily said Monday.
An editorial in the Dawn said that originally, the set-up in Chandigarh was to establish the ‘Pakistani feel’ for Bigelow’s interpretation of the hunt for Osama bin Laden that led to his killing in Pakistan’s Abbottabad town May 2 last year.
“But the climax is more likely to provide some in Pakistan a feel of the India they are comfortable with,” it said.
It cited a report from Chandigarh recording a claim by “a right-wing Hindu leader about the presence of Pakistani flags on the set”.
“A Pakistani flag flying in the streets of Chandigarh? How far is the coveted Lal Qila from there,” the daily asked.
“This was too good an opportunity for hard-liners to not exploit. The activists of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad arrived in time to thwart the establishment of another Pakistan on Indian soil. The camera crew was abused, the flags and Urdu signs were removed…”
The editorial said that while sitting in Pakistan at a safe distance from the VHP, “the similarities between Chandigarh and Lahore are too many and too striking to be easily overlooked”.
“The extremists in the two countries are like good friends helping each other along. This is hardly a justification. This is unfortunate and a fact. An act of extremism in one country is likely to beget two in the other.
“Hoping for an end to this mutually destructive process is difficult - even if it is not as impossible as wishing that directors such as Bigelow were allowed to shoot on original location,” it added.
- Chandigarh unhappy over protests against Osama movie - Mar 05, 2012
- Chandigarh becomes Osama's Abbottabad - for Hollywood film - Mar 01, 2012
- Bigelow's Osama film shooting gets hostile ride in Chandigarh - Mar 02, 2012
- Hollywood plans movie on US hunt for Osama bin Laden - May 03, 2011
- Bigelow to direct film on Osama death? - Jan 16, 2012
- Chastain in talks for Osama movie? - Jan 06, 2012
- Osama's death may impact Bigelow's 'Kill Bin Laden' - May 02, 2011
- Osama's home shouldn't have been razed: Daily - Feb 28, 2012
- Osama's death inspires new Hollywood movies - May 15, 2011
- US lawmakers Bin Laden movie to be investigated - Aug 11, 2011
- Still not clear why, how Osama was in Abbottabad: Daily - Jul 23, 2012
- VHP disrupts India, Pakistan joint I-Day celebrations - Aug 14, 2012
- BJP condoles Husain's death, Bajrang Dal opposes burial in India (Second Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- Inquiry into why Pakistan intelligence couldn't track Osama - May 03, 2011
- Hollywood abuzz with Osama films rewrites 'to reflect news of his death' - May 03, 2011
Tags: abbottabad, camera crew, chandigarh, director kathryn bigelow, disruption, extremism, extremists, good friends, hindu leader, hollywood director, indian soil, islamabad, lahore, lal qila, osama bin laden, pakistani flags, rues, safe distance, vhp, vishwa hindu parishad