Pakistani court adjourns Mumbai attack case hearing

July 26th, 2009 - 12:09 am ICT by IANS  

Islamabad, July 25 (IANS) A Pakistani court Saturday adjourned till Aug 29 the hearing of a case against five people accused of involvement in the Mumbai terrorist attacks, a media report said.
A prosecution team member and a defence lawyer said the hearing was adjourned until Aug 29 and the court decided to accept a request by the Federal Investigation Agency that the hearing be held behind closed doors, the Dawn newspaper’s website reported.

The government prosecutor, Malik Rab Nawaz Noon, said formal charges against the accused had not yet been framed and Saturday’s proceedings had ended after the recording of statements.

The media and public have been denied access to the hearings that are being held at the Adiala jail in Rawalpindi, a garrison town near the capital, and lawyers from both sides have given few details of the pre-trial proceedings.

The suspects on trial at Adiala are Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, a commander of the Lashkar-e-Taiba militant group, Hammad Amin, Abdul Wajid alias Zarar Shah, Mazhar Iqbal alias Abu al Qama and Shahid Jameel Riaz.

Interior Minister Rehman Malik had earlier this month released photographs of the men, along with 13 other suspects who have not yet been detained.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in South Asia |

Subscribe